Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin Practice-Book Suggestion + Advice on String Switching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystearica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Violin Practice-Book Suggestion + Advice on String Switching Reply with quote

Good Day,

Two things - 1 books + 2 string switching issue...

First:
I'm a 26 year old adult JUST taking up violin lessons. Had 5 lessons in total (I do have an instructor)... but I want to know of other good books (ones that adults can use) so I can practice on the side. Frankly, haven't had much time practicing 'cause my family freaks out when I do (the noise you make as a beginner isn't exactly pleasant) - but with a noise reducer that I just bought (it will arrive on Thursday) I will definitely have more practice done (at least I hope... one thing I figured would be the issue as an adult player is time!)

I understand that you don't want to use another style of learning 'cause it'll be confusing.. My instructor uses the book Essential Elements 2000 for Strings - so not sure what "style" of teaching that is (sorry newbie). Maybe another book of the same style so I can practice some more

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! By the way I have both a US and Canadian address.... normally I use amazon for my purchase needs.

Second:
My level so far... pretty bad bad bad bad. I know the D and the E string - the 1/4, 1/8, 1/2, 1 notes etc (no vibrato yet). Next lesson looks like the G String. I'm fluent with the D string - my E string needs a bit of work. But what I seem to have problems with is switching strings - especially with 2-4 1/8 notes connected and switching strings. I find that I pause for SOME REASON - I know my notes, I can reside them and draw them out with a blindfold but sometimes transcribing them to music is very hard. And if I don't pause, sometimes I accidentally tough the string next to it. Anyone know what's 'causing this partial pause? I HOPE with time it will change - but now that I will be learning a third string it's going to be very hard >...<

Thanks

PS. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum and yes I do live at home - just graduated with a good degree, got my first job, am single and my mom wants me to keep her company... what's the point of moving out yet?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Violin Practice-Book Suggestion + Advice on String Switc Reply with quote

Hello Mystearica,

Welcome to the forum.

It's great to hear you are starting violin, and even better that you have an instructor. Take the time necessary to establish proper violin and bow hold. Over the years playing the violin, I've found that violin responds to the slightest tension while playing. It would be good to learn different "styles" or "methods" of playing, not just one. Try not to get hooked on a particular method or technique. I have learned that great violinist obtain skills all over the place to integrate into their playing.

There is only so much you can get from books. Here are some of the ones I have used:

A New Approach to Violin Playing, by Kato Havas
The Twelve Lesson Course companion, by Kato Havas

The above two titles were very helpful to me. Then more tidbits came from:

Violin Playing As I Teach It, by Leopold Auer, ISBN 0-486-23917-9
Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching, Ivan Galamian, ISBN 0-9621416-4-X
The Teaching of Action in String Playing, Paul Rolland, Violin and Viola

Very recently, I obtained the book.

Ricci on Glissando, by Ruggerio Ricci

In regards to your fingering on the left hand, it would be presumptuous to answer your questions without seeing what you are really doing. Are you able to get video clip?

What usually happens with beginners is that the left palm is not correctly oriented with the violin neck. Instead of the palm facing the neck it is more perpendicular to it causing the fingers to touch more than one string (beginners usually complain of having too wide fingers). Please see this thread and scroll down until you see the photos.

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1271&start=30

In regards to pausing before the next note, this can be avoided by placing the finger on the note in advance before you actually play the note. You'll need to do this very slowly. Start off slowly and evenly then gradually pick up speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: