Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The wounded hussar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: "The wounded hussar" Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ji0EGq_qAc

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/858

Can someone confirm that this is the correct sheet music for what the guy is playing as I was finding it hard to follow along.

Also what confused me was that now and then he plays what seems to be two strings at once- is this an additional optional flourish as I don't see anything on the sheet music that would correspond to it...I have also heard another person playing it with the same two string bow- what is this called and where would it correspond on the sheet music if it does at all?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "The wounded hussar" Reply with quote

He is not following the sheet music, but must be playing another variation of the theme.

Those two notes played at the same time are called "double stops". Try playing the open G and open D string at the same time without any fingers, which is a type of double stop (stopped by the violin nut near the scroll).
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the double stop seems simple enough but I wouldn't know when to do it.

I don't want to necessarily play his version (though I will if I find it)...it's just confusing that with these irish tunes they seem to have their many 'ye back of beyond regional variation' Very Happy so it makes it harder to learn- very cliquey Smile. All the versions of that piece I've heard on youtube do play that same version so far though...so I'd like to find the sheet music so I can learn it from the videos too.

I've been downloading a few jigs since learning irish washer women, I was thinking they are great for learning dexterity but these things are just SO fast!

I am liking the airs though since they seem to fit my initial criteria of slow romantic/melancholic music but it's nice to find similar in a different genre to classical (please give me recommendations of yet more genres which have similar equivalents).

So what does the sheet music I gave you sound like- is it close to what he's playing or way off? I really suck at playing it so far so am unable to say. I am thinking it might be better to try and find their version if I can to help me learn from the vids
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sevcik exercise book I mentioned in another thread will definitely help to make your fingers develop dexterity. For me, it truly made music that I wanted to play much easier, especially the faster pieces.

Sevcik School of Technic for violin, Op.1, Part 1 - Exercises in the 1st position, Carl Fischer Music Library #L282

They are boring, but what a workout it gives.

The music score that is on the net for the jig, I am wondering if it is a different piece of music. This music score is minor throughout (G minor). The player on youtube goes into a major key part way through the song.

The two pieces I like which you may want to give a shot at are:

Adoration, by Felix Borowski, for violin and piano, Carl Fischer Music B3358

and

Meditation from Thais, by Jules Massenet, Carl Fischer Music, B2642

However they require higher hand positions. By the way, did you ever manage to find a teacher or group class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: