Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st video up :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: 1st video up :) Reply with quote

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4MCBZ58W

It'll only be up for a few days so get it while it's there. If not I'll have to re-up, unless you have something more permanent lamuel? or anyone else?

Go ahead and critique.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st video up :) Reply with quote

I get the following message when I click on the link.

"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

Are you able to upload it on Youtube?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzm600EtXK0

What I was thinking would be really good was if others/you got the chance to post vids of them playing a few of the tunes I'm learning then I'd have an archetype to learn from.

Then we could do back and forths like that.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting.

First of all, I'm very glad you are having fun at this and laughing at your mistakes. It's a good character trait to have.

In regards to your playing, my first impressions is that your left hand fingers are rounded ok over the fingerboard (It would be nice to have a closer look at your pinky viewing from the other side).

The bowing arm - your right elbow appears too low. Generally, the line joining your right elbow to the back of your right wrist should be level to the ground. The right hand suspends or hangs down from the wrist.

To correct problem spots in your music (such as string crossings), I would be playing much, much slower.

Please send me links to the music sheets you are playing, and I'll see what I can do for you.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Just about to hit the hay but here is the link for this particular one, that is where I've been getting all the other ones I will likely be putting up: http://www.oldmusicproject.com/AA3Sheet/0701-1200/Sheet-1101-1200/1163-AnotherJig.gif

So you suggest playing them slow till I make no mistakes then speeding them up?

Trouble with these tunes I've found is they are meant to be played so fast I find they don't sound like tunes when played slow, just disjointed notes- though I guess plenty of that has to do with my blundering too Very Happy.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link you provided for the music is entitled "Another Jig Will Do!" (slipjig) 1163, and does not match the music you are playing. Your playing starts on note E on the D string. However the music starts on note A.

Last edited by Lemuel on Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, I was playing that one to myself after.

This should be the one: http://www.oldmusicproject.com/AA3Sheet/0701-1200/Sheet-0901-1000/0911-AntrimLasses.gif

Incidentally the other one is one of my fav. ones atm too so if you were already doing it go ahead and record that one too.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ode to Tragedy on Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, playing music slowly does not make it sound like the real thing. Repeating passages over and over again (what you call blundering) does not make it sound like the real thing either. The purpose of playing it slower is so that you can get it right playing it faster. It's like learning to walk - you first have to crawl.

Thanks for the link. I got some tight schedules in the short term right now. Please be patient until I get something for you.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, I'll take your advice and continue doing the drills in the meantime Smile.

I think the main thing for hearing someone play them properly is so that it will mean I can envision how I might play them one day and so motivate me and give me faith I will get there doing the smallchunked bits.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Video clip Reply with quote

Hello Ode,

Please let me know if this video clip for "Antrim Lasses Jig" is helpful to you.

http://www.violins.ca/videos/Start%20out%20slow.flv
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Smile

Yup this is very helpful. You seem to have a verymeditative playing style...Smile I get hints of this when I hit the zone.

Here's another one for you I did today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqQm03HDkF8

And yes I know I'm playing the wrong notes for some of them now.. I posted this on another forum and was advised that I am playing the C's and G's sharp...I was unaware of that since I am not familiar with the scales so that is next thing to get under my belt.

I was attempting to play that one slower but I think I can slow it down more still.

I learn alot just form looking at myself played back so I plan on doing a recording of myself probably once a week or so.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Yes, one can learn a lot by looking at the mirror and now video taking yourself and looking at it.

Out of curiosity, do you feel any tension on the back of your left hand just above the wrist? Did you see my comments on having a straight line from the back of your left wrist to the elbow to get more leverage for the left hand fingers?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't feel tension and I do try and keep in mind to keep it straight I just forget if I'm not diong it consciously and seems to sink back to that position.

When I have been doing it consciouly I do notice a difference in the ease of 'clamping' down the little finger.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find it easier or more difficult with the little finger as you straighten your wrist? I'm guessing it is more difficult as it is for many beginners, because straightening the wrist seems to cause the face of the left palm not to face the violin neck.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I was first trying I can't say I found it much different cos I was so new to either position eahc felt as unnatural as the other.

Today I've been having a great practice tho losing track of time.

Understanably, now I'm playing the tunes in the right notes they are sounding alot better and I'm enjoying my practice alot more as a result.

What I noticed is the position you suggest really aids with me finding the natural notes and moving my fingers around.

Before I was only playing the sharps and so my fingers/wrist could stay pretty much in one position but this wasn't so good when I had to move to naturals then jump from natural C to D on the A string for instance. I found the 'crane' position you suggested easier but also I found myself naturally gravitating towards it after playing for a while as it allowed my fingers to move aorund more freely...and yes hitting B on E was easier Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: