Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best violin mute?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Best violin mute? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a violin mute, and I'm wondering which would be best for my violin? I've read many reviews, and most suggested to go with the rubber, because the metal one damages your violin.

Thank you!
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky... question is why do you want one?
If it is to quiet your violin to keep you sane during your practices, then the rubber Ultra Practice Mute is best. http://violins.ca/accessories/mutes.html
If you are looking to modify the tone of your instrument or of a particular note or string on the instrument, then the Rezx is best... http://violins.ca/accessories/wolftone_eliminators.html
Cheers!... Mat
Sky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the noise so much, but there's a baby in the house, so I have to keep it quiet while practicing.

Thank you very much, I'm going to go with a rubber mute.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking from perspective of sound, the more mass the more muting you'll get.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sound wooden mute is best obviously.

For convenience in chamber music or orchestra when you have very little time to put on and take off mute rubber mute that slides on and off is best. One hole or two hole version is a matter of taste and preference. Sometimes one hole version can rattle when not used for example, or some two hole versions can be tough to put/slide on quickly. Try both and see what you like.

For practice mute when you need least possible sound rubber heavy practice mute is best. Provides more muting.

Metal heavy practice mute mutes the sound even more but can damage your violin if it falls off or when you take it off, and that ALWAYS happens at least at some point...
markemms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Swan Violin Mute Reply with quote

Personally I like the Swan violin mute for orchestral work - easy to use, doesn't rattle and sounds good. The commonest mutes these days don't make much difference to the tone of the instrument. This one is similar in effect to the Menuhin Shield mute which you can't get any more.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swan Violin Mute Reply with quote

markemms wrote:
Personally I like the Swan violin mute for orchestral work - easy to use, doesn't rattle and sounds good. The commonest mutes these days don't make much difference to the tone of the instrument. This one is similar in effect to the Menuhin Shield mute which you can't get any more.

Thanks for joining the forum....and thanks for the heads up on this mute which I never heard of before. Will check it out...
markemms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure - thanks for setting it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: