Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from sunny Singapore:D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hottiedoggie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Hello from sunny Singapore:D Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I from Singapore!
Currently i had been learning the violin for 3 years.
Even though i'm not really enjoying it cause of the songs my teacher is making me play but i am still practicing it.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to help solve these problems

1. Sometimes the palm area of my thumb will feel strained. (both hands)

2. My 3rd and 4th finger always moves half a note lower.

3. I can't tap my feet and play at the same time properly to get the beat of the song.

Thanks again!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
1. Sometimes the palm area of my thumb will feel strained. (both hands)

It's difficult to tell without seeing your holding position. Have you always had these problems during your 3 years or is this a recent thing? What level of music are you playing now?

For many beginners, tension around the palm area near the thumb (on either hand) is more likely caused by the thumb joint nearest to the palm bending inwards rather than outwards. You maybe trying to “grip” the violin neck or bow. No thumb pressure is needed whatsoever.

Quote:
2. My 3rd and 4th finger always moves half a note lower.

I suspect here (and again can't really tell for sure without seeing your holding position) that your left hand palm is not oriented properly, and your 3rd and 4th fingers are straight rather than curved when you are playing over the fingerboard.

Please see this link for more information.
http://www.violins.ca/info/violin_left_hand_position.html

Quote:
3. I can't tap my feet and play at the same time properly to get the beat of the song.

Start out very slowly using simple music. It will come. Singing and learning to clap to the beats of the song also helps.
hottiedoggie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am not sure what level of music i'm playing.

But the things i am currently playing is from the Wohlfahrt 40 elementary studies book and traditional chinese music.

I admit i always push my thumb against my violin. I do not know how to prevent this from happening.

Will post a picture of how i hold my violin:). Thanks for your advice:).
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest challenge for you will be to undo a habit (between 3 to 4 weeks). I've discovered that the worst habit for my playing is tension. Once I discover any tension it spreads like a disease and effects everything else. There should be no tension on any part of the body (back, neck, arms, legs, wrists, fingers), but should be relaxed, pliable at all times even during playing music.

For left hand, leave right hand bowing arm out for the moment.

Start first by resting the neck of the violin in the cradle between the thumb and index finger of your left hand. (Do you use shoulder rest)?
Relax the fingers of the left hand. Closing your eyes while feeling the relaxed position is a good way to reestablish new relaxed habit.

Then see if you can move left hand fingers while maintaining relaxed position. Lightly brush the neck with the left thumb to check that you are not pressing the thumb against the neck.

I would not play anything yet until you can move left hand fingers without pressing the thumb against the neck. It will be slow going at first, since you are attempting to undo a habit. However once new habit is established, your progress will be exponential.

Please let me know if this is clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: