Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uk Luthiers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Uk Luthiers Reply with quote

Hi there.
I am currently in the process of making my first violin.

I'm looking to tie in to UK luthiers to help with me gather resources, I'm looking for wood for the liners, Ive been recommend to use Willow. are there any other woods I could use and what suppliers are there in the UK?

Thank you in advance. Very Happy
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use willow, that I cut myself, but many people use spruce. However, many woods will work, ease of bending being important. Weight is normally not an issue. I have no ideas about wood suppliers, but you might ask whoever you got spruce and maple from. Many possibilities would be common lumberyards and you might get scrap pieces cheap.
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Thanks LP. Reply with quote

When you cut your own willow how long do you leave it to dry before you use it? Do you Kilin dry it or air dry it?
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I air dry it because I don't have a kiln. I haven't kept track of time, but the last time I cut a tree (maybe ten years ago) I cut some pieces down to about 20 to 25 mm x 70 mm, approximately quarter sawn, cut some to about 35 mm longitudinally for blocks and left them for several months. I could have weighed them, but didn't, to judge dryness. Because of the sizes of the pieces, I don't worry much about moisture content as long as they are not obviously wet.

An interesting observation was that the green heartwood shrank more than the sapwood as it dried, contrary to conventional "fact." When it was fairly dry before sawing that was not apparent.
Dave Slight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Uk Luthiers Reply with quote

Ian Deveney wrote:
Hi there.
I am currently in the process of making my first violin.

I'm looking to tie in to UK luthiers to help with me gather resources, I'm looking for wood for the liners, Ive been recommend to use Willow. are there any other woods I could use and what suppliers are there in the UK?

Thank you in advance. Very Happy

You could use willow, but usually there is enough spruce left over from sawing out the belly to make linings from.
If you are looking to buy wood in the UK, I'd suggest David Dyke luthier supplies
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
You know i hadn't even thought of that, shows you I need help.
Dave Slight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll be even more pleased to know that you can often cut matching ribs from the back too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: