Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Playing duets with beginning students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techfiddle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Playing duets with beginning students Reply with quote

Do other teachers feel that there's usually not enough time, even in an hour lesson, to do all the things they think would help the student? It's particularly difficult if an adult student only wants a 1/2 hour lesson; they really need an hour, but some of them don't have the budget. I also wish I could enforce a mandatory one hour group lesson a week, but I have had very poor luck doing that (which of course reveals that I'm not adhering to Suzuki practice, though I have in the past: currently, the largest percentage of my students are advanced or adults).

How much time do you spend playing duets with your students, and what is some of the literature you use for that? I have the duets (and quartets) that go with the Suzuki books.

TIA
miamia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an adult beginner, not a teacher.

As a busy adult, I do not feel I have enough time in a week's worth of practice to make weekly 1hr lessons worthwhile. Lucky, I found a teacher who is willing to do 1hr lessons every other week and is flexible (I can add lessons in between or skip if I'm too busy). It'd be nice if more teachers would be flexible, even if with an extra cost.

I play short duets with my teacher almost every lesson using the The Doflein Method. Almost all the pieces are duets, a large part of why I chose this book.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miamia wrote:
I'm an adult beginner, not a teacher.

As a busy adult, I do not feel I have enough time in a week's worth of practice to make weekly 1hr lessons worthwhile. Lucky, I found a teacher who is willing to do 1hr lessons every other week and is flexible (I can add lessons in between or skip if I'm too busy). It'd be nice if more teachers would be flexible, even if with an extra cost.

I play short duets with my teacher almost every lesson using the The Doflein Method. Almost all the pieces are duets, a large part of why I chose this book.

I have a friend in Spain who recommends the Doflein also; he says this is what is used by most teachers for beginning students, in Europe. I use the Tune a Day and want to purchase and examine the D at some point; I'm curious to know how they compare to the TaD.

This is what John wrote about the Doflein:
Quote:

Re Doflein: what happened is that Doflein was a musicologist who travelled a lot and gathered good musical material throughout the world. Mrs. Doflein, a violinist, graded the pieces for difficulty. You know of course that the 44 Bartok duos were composed for this method, and many of them appear there...not all, particularly not the difficult ones. I feel that as far as music is concerned it is still the best method on the market. I don't know "Tune a Day" so I cannot compare, but the Doflein is indeed used widely all over Europe. There is a German, English and I believe Swedish edition.

[From String_Teacher_Support ]

Amalia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children's teacher uses duets for part of each lesson. They double as sight reading practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: