Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calluses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Calluses Reply with quote

What do violinist do about the buildup of calluses on their fingers?
Is this a case of More and Harder is better, or is there a happy medium
you reach before starting to treat them. I have been playing about a year
and a half now, and mine are getting pretty thick, and sometimes feel
uncomfortable. Please give us your thoughts on this. Thanks
Gizmo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Fingers Reply with quote

There are several references in the literature pointing out that light finger pressure is the preferred approach. I think MASTER CLASS has an online blurb on the subject.

You can imagine the difficulty of fast passages if each finger had to be "planted".
Maggini

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Callouses Reply with quote

I play VERY often. I play in two orchestras, my family trio, and every Sunday morning in my church orchestra. I also demonstrate for my students all day long at school. My callouses "recycle" themselves. I don't treat them. About every two months, the outer layer will be come loose and begin to peel. I file them smooth (very lightly) with an old emery board. When I was younger, I used to peel them off, but one time I pulled it into the live skin. That was painful for quite some time. It was during the time that I was auditioning for several orchestras, and I had to play through it. I'd advise against peeling the "dead" skin away...

This works for me, but I don't know if it's the answer for everyone.

Dr. Edmund Robb III
Amalia

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having callouses, because I can then practice for longer periods of time without sore fingers. I do file them smooth (not off) as needed, mostly to prevent a groove or edge to the callous that can catch on the strings and totally mess up my playing.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: callouses Reply with quote

Ricci recommends callouses for left hand pizzicato.If you get thicker skin where the hand rubs on the neck I use a diamond nailfile to rub it away.Skin returns to a flexible state and no soreness at all.Very safe .Don`t leave this too long.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: callouses Reply with quote

Ricci recommends callouses for left hand pizzicato.If you get thicker skin where the hand rubs on the neck I use a diamond nailfile to rub it away.Skin returns to a flexible state and no soreness at all.Very safe .Don`t leave this too long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: