Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Making of The Quartet of Peace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBurns

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: The Making of The Quartet of Peace. Reply with quote

http://thequartetofpeace.blogspot.com/

I ran into this blog when it was mentioned in "The Strad" magazine's News section, and thought that some of the players of bowed instruments might enjoy following the building of this quartet. I myself am a woodworker who is researching making violins, in the hopes of one day tackling this job, successfully.

The blog contains video of the process which makes it unique, as most sites on making only contain pictures.

The instruments after wards will be played, so perhaps some of the members here at Violinist.com will be able to post on the concerts and let us know how things finished.

"Each instrument will bear a name in their honour. Hope for Nelson Mandela, Peace for Bishop Desmond Tutu, Reconciliation for FW De Klerk and Freedom for Dr Albert Luthuli. The culmination of the wood passing through my hands will be three special concerts to be held in Geneva, Paris and London."

The maker, Brian Lisus, also runs a school, so this should be a good one.

Oh also it has cats! LOL

http://www.violinafrica.co.za/
DBurns

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would notify anyone interested in the videos on making that there is now a new installment.

It's nice to actually see the work that goes into making an instrument.
DBurns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new post, with the Inlaying of the Purfling being done.
Very interesting to see this work being done. The middle bouts look tough to do.

http://thequartetofpeace.blogspot.com/2010/01/inlay-or-purfling-as-it-is-known-is.html
DBurns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arching and plate thicknessing is now being blogged.

http://thequartetofpeace.blogspot.com/2010/02/arching-and-thicknessing.html
DBurns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new post on Sound Holes and Bass Bars.
DBurns

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would post an update, as things are really starting to be moving along quite nicely.

The Quartet of Peace, which will honour the 4 Nobel Prize winners from South Africa.

With project co-ordinator Valerie Pole has taken over the helm, and the Musicians and Concert Halls are lining up quite well, and the project will help www.musequality.org/ , which is a great charity to help spread the joy of music to all.

If you can attend one of these concerts, or help Musequality in any way, then please do so, and thank you in advance and in anticipation for all your help!

The members of The Quartet of Peace are:

First violin: David Juritz (leader of the London Mozart Players)

Second violin: Susanne Martens (previous concertmaster of the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra and member of the Rosamunde Quartet)

Viola: Gareth Lubbe (principal viola of the Gewandhaus Orchestra, Germany)

Cello: Peter Martens (previous principal cellist of the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra and member of the Amici String Quartet)

Venues are:

Here is a list of the concerts to date:

17th November - St. Thomas church, Leipzig, Germany

5th December - Kings Place, London

7th December - Ljubljana, Slovenia (European Union House concert)

11th December - Oslo, Peace Prize Awards concert. (Final program to be confirmed in August, 2010)

Then other planned concerts will be at the European Parliament in Brussels, The United Nations in Geneva and in Paris. These dates still to be confirmed, but the concerts will be during December 2010.

I have been enjoying this project, as one gets to see the maker of the quartet, Brian Lisus, from South Africa, and trained at the Newark School of Violin Making here in the U.K. make the instruments from scratch, and each instrument is named after one of the Nobel Prize winners.

"These two violins, viola, and cello are to be made in honour of four great men. Men who have withstood the harshness and winter of South Africa’s apartheid past, bringing new light and vision to a land parched by discrimination and misunderstanding.

Each instrument will bear a name in their honour. Hope for Nelson Mandela, Peace for Bishop Desmond Tutu, Reconciliation for FW De Klerk and Freedom for Dr Albert Luthuli. The culmination of the wood passing through my hands will be three special concerts to be held in Geneva, Paris and London."

I hope that everyone here will also enjoy following, and hopefully attending one of the concerts, of this amazing project.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I will be able to attend any of the concerts, but I hope all goes well for you.
DBurns

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Highlander"]Can't say that I will be able to attend any of the concerts, but I hope all goes well for you.[/quote]

It is my hope that I will be able to attend one of the concerts, but if not, I hope that the maker will post one on his blog.
That would make for a nice finishing touch.

There is a new post on Assembling the Violin.

Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am.
DBurns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now a couple of new entries on the blog, one about carving the scroll, and the other about joining the neck to the body.

At the bottom of the latest entry though is a video clip of the viola being played for the first time.

It was quite exciting to see the fruition of all that work.

You can see it on the blog, or at Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvp4Laa5Lk&feature=player_embedded

Cheers
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dburns - The viola sounds, lovely, doesn't it? Good luck to all who participated in this project, and thanks for posting!

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: