Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cellos wolf notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: cellos wolf notes Reply with quote

I don't work on a lot of cellos...but someone told me that virtually all cellos have a wolf note... some in the most annoying places and some in " convenient places...is this true? If so, would that also be true of violins?
Thanks, Mat
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

It is true of many/most cellos, at least in part due to the fact that they are not created to their "theoretically optimal" size; the violin is, and usually does not suffer from wolf notes.
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leif Luscombe wrote:
It is true of many/most cellos, at least in part due to the fact that they are not created to their "theoretically optimal" size; the violin is, and usually does not suffer from wolf notes.

I’d agree that troublesome wolf notes are more common on 'celli, but many, if not most, violins also have them… even very fine violins. They are just usually not as troublesome and often center around one particular note (instead of an entire range or several octaves). Violins will often “wolf” somewhere around the B an octave up on the G string. If this wolf is present, the trick is to move it “off” the note so it won’t cause difficulty for the player.

http://holmesviolins.com
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I'll try again... I tried to reply but when I hit submit... I got kicked out of the forum!!... Hope it wasn't something I said!... Life is strange!
Thanks Leif and Jeffery, Have you any experience wuth this product?
http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Accessories/Cello/438001Internal.html
Is it a generally accepted and successful method in taming a wolf?
Also, Is it correct to assume that the various wolf tamer products on the market do not actually eliminate a wolf , but just moves it to a less problematic location??
As always, thanks for your advice and sharing of your experience.
Mat
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used resonators in the past for really difficult wolf notes. They work rather well if the wolf seems stable (doesn't move much with weather changes). The clamp that is available for installation is handy to have if you plan on using them regularly. The idea is that they will vibrate when the note is played, therefore “killing” it.

The string mounted types work as well, but tend to dampen response from the notes surrounding the wolf as well. The nice thing is that they are easily readjusted if the wolf moves. There is a new, solid brass, type available that is made in several different size/weight configurations. A bit less invasive if you find the “right” weight for the application, I think.

http://holmesviolins.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: