Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help choosing beginner violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpulse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Help choosing beginner violin Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm new to violins (but own and play piano and guitar, also used to study the accordeon). To satisfy my newfound interest in this nice sounding instrument i'm planning to buy a cheap beginner's violin. So far a few violin sets have caught my attention:
** a Cecilio cvn-100 violin set with a case, bow, extra strings,extra bridge, shoulder rest, tuner with Metronome and 1 year warranty which sells on ebay for just 89.99dollars(apparantly its a great deal with its retail vallue being ~200dollars). Ebay link
**a custom Crescent violin set with a case and bow. Ebay link
**and an Antoni beginner class violin in my town's music shop(no idea about the excact model, but here it costs ~150dollars. Maybe the price would help find a matching model, although its most likely pretty overpriced here)

Would someone be so kind to help me choose a suitable set(doesnt have to be from my list) to experiment with? I'm looking for something cheap so i can play around with it and then see if i like it and commit myself to this instrument without having to risk much money in case i wont like it, but also i'd like it to be of reasonable quality so the experience wouldnt be spoiled by really bad sound because of horrible design/material.

Also, i'd like to hear specifically about the Cecilio set. Does it sound too good to be true with the offered price? Is it actually a good instrument worth the retail value or just an overpriced toy made seem to have a ''big discount"?

Thanks in advance,
D.G
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello D.G.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for introducing yourself.

Quote:
I'm looking for something cheap so i can play around with it and then see if i like it and commit myself to this instrument without having to risk much money in case i wont like it, but also i'd like it to be of reasonable quality so the experience wouldnt be spoiled by really bad sound because of horrible design/material.

You're not alone with this concern.

Another factor to consider (which is more important) is to find a good and patient teacher that will guide you from the start but will also encourage you on the way. This will make your investment more worthwhile. Learning to play the violin without a good teacher is like building a house without training and proper tools. Both will be painful experience and will more than likely cause you to abandon project.

I should emphasize to you that there is a big difference in sound quality between a properly hand-made instrument and a machine-made one. Most violins for under $200.00 are machine-made ones.

Here is what I would do.

Find a good teacher near you. Then consider renting a good violin instead. Again, your teacher should be able to help you since he/she has undoubtedly gone through the process of picking out a good violin for himself/herself and other students.

If you have problem finding a good teacher, contact the music department of your local university or music school that teaches violin. Ask questions and get more than one opinion. Having a good violin and teacher from the start will make it fun to learn. You will more than likely enjoy your playing from the very start.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dg... Don't always believe in the "retail" value of a violin. Some dealers will order cheap violins from the third world, then insert their own label and sell it as a premium instrument with a high retail value.
There is alot of BS in this business and you need to know what you are buying, and that you cannot know uless you have held it in your hand and played it! Cheap violins are good for toys, but usually end up being not cheap as they often need a full set up including new strings in order to make it playable for a serious learner. A full set up including sound post, bridge, peg ajustments, fingerborad shaping and strings can run $120 to $250.
In selecting a violin, be sure you ask to test the instrument at home and with your teacher for at least 1 week with either a money back guarantee or on loan. Most reputable dealers will offer that.... but that means usually dealing locally. If you are a beginner, as Lemuel has suggested, you need a violin teacher's assistance.
If you are buying on line... stick to reputable suppliers ( like www.violins.ca ) who have been in business for many years and have a good reputation.... and people you can call and talk to at any time.
If you are a player and want to upgrade, play as many different violins as you can get your hands on... those of friends, fellow violinists, stores etc. After a while you will get to know what you like in a violin and then when you find it ... buy it. It is common, that even amoung professionals, a violin that sounds perfect to one is lackluster to another...What matters is what you like.
Good luck in your search... Cheers, Mat
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Mat, thanks.

I really need to remember to mention about the cost of a proper violin setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: