Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Hello Everyone! Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Justin!

I play guitar mainly, but I'm very interested in learning how to play violin.

I've never played anything fretless, so this will be a bit of a challenge.

I'm planning to get a violin, I'm 17 so would a 4/4 size be good? I plan on getting a used one. Is there a recommended brand or model that I can get?

Thanks!
Chad48309

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a challenge is something of an understatement. You don't just have the fretless aspects to consider, but you must also develop a good understanding of the very fine art of bowing technique. This is a long journey, not to deter you, so don't expect the finest results in the shortest amount of time. It takes years of dedication and the willingness to abandon habits incorrect and inefficient, no matter the time spent developing them.

Not to deter you, though. There's just a great, great deal to consider with an instrument as complex as the violin. For information regarding beginning purchases, this thread is a good start:

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1125
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Justin, and thanks for introducing yourself.

Yes, the thread provided above is a good place to start (thanks Chad).
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys ;D!

Hehe, Yeah it is an understatement, we guitar players rely too much on frets. I've never touched a violin before in my life, and I've been using a pick forever. This is a whole new instrument, but I guess my calluses will be my only advantage. It's hard to obtain a good sound too right?

When I learn an instrument I want to play for life, and always learn!

Thanks again!

EDIT: I don't think I can get away without having a teacher and a bunch of RCM books can I?

I will probably never be able to play Paganini ;(.
Chad48309

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be able to play Paganini? With dedication, yes. Will you be able to play LIKE Paganini? No.

A teacher and work books are a fantastic idea, and I'm glad to see someone taking the instrument seriously. Many people are under the impression that the violin is something that can be learned practically overnight (where they got this idea, I'll never know). Never be afraid of switching teachers, regardless of the relationship you've developed with them.

Whatever instrument you decide to purchase, do NOT underestimate the importance of appropriate and exceptional strings, good rosin suited for your playing style, and a bow of superior quality. Nothing holds a student back faster than a cheap carbon fiber bow.
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone can play like Paganini. I have yet to play Chopin on piano ;(. I could probably play one or two Paganini on guitar, but it's not the same as violin.

Yeah, I hear ya on the teacher advice, they might be cool and all, but if they don't teach you the things you need, then you're better off with another teacher.

I'm currently in the last year of high school, but I plan on going into the music field, so naturally I have to take everything I do in music seriously.

Actually, I'm thinking of buying a used violin because I have had good experiences in the past with buying used instruments.

There's a Mathias Thoma 4/4 MT400 for $350
Otto Jos Klier 4/4 also for $350
Some random Anton Beder 4/4 Violin I'm not sure... for $325 claiming to be 20 years old.
Samuel Eastman VL080 4/4 for $300.

Maybe someone could direct me to one on that list that would most likely be best...

In the meantime I am borrowing my friend's violin to try and see if it's the right thing for me. I have a good feeling that I'll be hooked to playing though!

I'll be sure to look into the strings, I read a bit about it from the link you posted earlier up there! So no need to explain Very Happy!

Thanks! for the advice, I don't believe that I can learn something practically overnight (I know from learning guitar and piano, that it takes a lot of practice.) Maybe people think like that because now everyone is spoon fed everything in school and the internet. (shrugs)

EDIT: Seems like I'm allowing only around 350$ for the violin. (Way more than my first guitar.) Should I invest more in it? Or would it be decent enough for me to play for a couple of years?

I really know the difference between a 200$ guitar and a 1000$ handcrafted in Japan guitar though, I played a LOT better, and it sounded and felt better, so I felt like practicing even more. Is this the case for the Violin as well?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChordMelody wrote:

EDIT: Seems like I'm allowing only around 350$ for the violin. (Way more than my first guitar.) Should I invest more in it? Or would it be decent enough for me to play for a couple of years?

I really know the difference between a 200$ guitar and a 1000$ handcrafted in Japan guitar though, I played a LOT better, and it sounded and felt better, so I felt like practicing even more. Is this the case for the Violin as well?

Just wondering if you found a violin for yourself yet. I have used the Samuel Eastman VL080s and properly setup, they are very good. Like guitars, there is definitely a difference between factory versus hand-crafted violins. The VL080s are pretty well handcrafted in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: