Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suzuki Books or RCM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Suzuki Books or RCM? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've read a few threads about Suzuki books, and I've been getting the impression it is something not for someone with some musical background already.

Can I get some further input on this? I'm trying to decide if I should go with Suzuki books or RCM books.

Thanks! I'm still debating on whether or not to get a teacher, as I play guitar mainly and have guitar lessons.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read a few threads about Suzuki books, and I've been getting the impression it is something not for someone with some musical background already.

Have you identified what musical background skill(s) you have already that you do not need from Suzuki method? Please be specific.

You won't lose anything in obtaining Suzuki material. As you get used to playing your violin I would even suggest you venture out and investigate other teaching methods, not just Suzuki or RCM. I've come to the conclusion that good violinists have a variety of technique and skills obtained from many sources.

Violin playing is not the same a guitar playing. Violin playing has a big dropout rate. Many give up in frustration.

There is so much that goes into violin playing - just so much. You would benefit to get a reputable violin teacher in my opinion.
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:
Quote:
I've read a few threads about Suzuki books, and I've been getting the impression it is something not for someone with some musical background already.

Have you identified what musical background skill(s) you have already that you do not need from Suzuki method? Please be specific.

You won't lose anything in obtaining Suzuki material. As you get used to playing your violin I would even suggest you venture out and investigate other teaching methods, not just Suzuki or RCM. I've come to the conclusion that good violinists have a variety of technique and skills obtained from many sources.

Violin playing is not the same a guitar playing. Violin playing has a big dropout rate. Many give up in frustration.

There is so much that goes into violin playing - just so much. You would benefit to get a reputable violin teacher in my opinion.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough! The threads seemed to suggest that Suzuki books are for kids that can't read music, or have yet to learn to read music. So I wasn't sure if it was for me, but I thought it was cool because it's a different method. I don't know anything else about the Suzuki books other than that, so I'm really not sure.

I'll keep that in mind about the variety of technique and skills obtained from many sources. We can't be too one dimensional about things right?

I'm not trying to compare it with guitar playing, but when I started playing the violin, I really had to use my ears a lot more because there are no frets. Holding the bow and using it is much harder than using a pick. It's really hard to get a good sound compared to my electric guitar haha (plug it in the amp and turn up the gain or something).

I am going to try my hardest to play the violin though, I feel that I am in love with the potentially beautiful sound that one can produce if they practice enough. I'll try not to give in to frustration, sounds like dying elephants still though :S!

I have a new perspective on violinists, I respect them so much now, the amount of time they must have practiced to get that nice sound, it's just a lot!

Yes, I'm trying to find a violin teacher right now, but it's getting really close to audition dates for University and College, I don't think I can afford to start lesson right now. You may cringe at the idea, but I have bought a violin method book (a beginner's one) and I'm trying to learn by myself along with all the internet resources I can find. I know this is risking having a bad foundation, and when I actually get a teacher I may have to relearn everything, but I really really can't stop listening to violin music and playing it. I hope this isn't just a phase us teenagers get!

Thanks for the reply!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChordMelody wrote:

Sorry I wasn't specific enough! The threads seemed to suggest that Suzuki books are for kids that can't read music, or have yet to learn to read music. So I wasn't sure if it was for me, but I thought it was cool because it's a different method. I don't know anything else about the Suzuki books other than that, so I'm really not sure.

This is a different slant from the negative comments I've heard about Suzuki method. Many people think Suzuki method is a "play by ear" method and therefore are weak in reading music. Unfortunately this is just not true. Suzuki method has earned this reputation only because of young children (as young as 3 years old) learning to play music by listening, imitation and repetition. Most children under 7 do not have the cerebral (for lack of a better term) skills to understand the abstraction of musical notation. Once they get older though, they are supposed to learn to read music. If they are not taught to do it, this is the weakness of the teacher and not the method.

In your case, since you already know how to read music, you would do well anyway to get beginning Suzuki or any other books that will have simple songs to start of with, not to learn how to read music but to make sure you develop the right habits of playing.

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind about the variety of technique and skills obtained from many sources. We can't be too one dimensional about things right?

I say this because even after many years of playing I'm still learning new stuff.

Quote:

Yes, I'm trying to find a violin teacher right now, but it's getting really close to audition dates for University and College, I don't think I can afford to start lesson right now. You may cringe at the idea, but I have bought a violin method book (a beginner's one) and I'm trying to learn by myself along with all the internet resources I can find. I know this is risking having a bad foundation, and when I actually get a teacher I may have to relearn everything, but I really really can't stop listening to violin music and playing it. I hope this isn't just a phase us teenagers get!

I'm not saying it is impossible to learn how to play without a teacher - after all who taught the very first historical violinists? It's just the dropout rate is high. A teacher is supposed to help you in establishing right balances and eliminate any tension from the beginning. Any tension will effect the sound. After this is establish, a teacher should help you in technique, intonation, music theory and artistic expression.
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay, that clears it up for me! Thanks. I know how to read music, but by playing by ear is something I can't do well.

Learning music is like learning a language ;D! You never stop learning!

Thanks for the advice again! I really appreciate it. I hope I can get a teacher soon!
miamia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read music fluently, I would suggest an accelerated method book rather than a standard method books. Much of the standard method books relies heavily on someone without a musical background spending lots of time explaining the basics.

I am an advanced musician in another instrument and the teacher I ended up with told me I didn't need a method book and started me on various etudes. He pushes me rather than relying on a particular method. I had already bought a method book and used it for sight-reading and the duets. People complain that it's a fairly accelerated method book (The Doflein Method) but it worked great for what I needed in addition to a violin poster/chart and a great teacher.

If you want to skimp on a teacher, it's much better to have a teacher in the beginning and then go solo versus a DIY approach in the beginning and getting a teacher later.
ChordMelody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miamia wrote:
If you read music fluently, I would suggest an accelerated method book rather than a standard method books. Much of the standard method books relies heavily on someone without a musical background spending lots of time explaining the basics.

I am an advanced musician in another instrument and the teacher I ended up with told me I didn't need a method book and started me on various etudes. He pushes me rather than relying on a particular method. I had already bought a method book and used it for sight-reading and the duets. People complain that it's a fairly accelerated method book (The Doflein Method) but it worked great for what I needed in addition to a violin poster/chart and a great teacher.

If you want to skimp on a teacher, it's much better to have a teacher in the beginning and then go solo versus a DIY approach in the beginning and getting a teacher later.

I've only had a music teacher do that to me for piano, it worked out pretty well, but I had to catch up on the technique a lot!

I think I may lay off the violin until I can get a teacher!

Thanks for the advice Smile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: