Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new strings on a new violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maricas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: new strings on a new violin Reply with quote

I haven't played for many years, and have been presented with a new, cheap violin (Bridgecraft, USA). On first tuning, a string broke so I thought it best to replace all strings. Purchased mid-price steel-core set and the package included a half-dozen or so tiny rubber washers about 5mm outside dia, 2mm inside. What in the world are these for??

The friend who gave me the violin (a new player himself) kindly tampered with the bridge by putting a big blob of glue where the E string crosses, but he replaced the bridge backwards and it has been slipping leftwards. So I purchased a new bridge. I have read posts about marking grooves and will work on those suggestions.

My question first is: should the post be centred beneath the bridge? On this violin it is definitely off-centre (from r to l) and off-centre in relation to F holes (a bit toward tailpiece). Is it moveable, and if so should I try to move it?

Thanks for any help. I'm really eager to start playing again!
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Maricas! Wait for an experienced repair person on this site to answer you, or you may cause some real damage. The soundpost definitely does not belong under the middle of the bridge, but at least close to where you describe it, although you will want to have it checked if the bridge (and therefore the holding pressure of the top plate) has been removed. (There is an art to setting a soundpost - even teensy moves can be effective.)

As for the little rubber "washers," I haven't a clue, and will anxiously be watching the replies to your query.

Good luck with your "re-entry" to the world of violin playing - Yay for you!

Shirley
Chad48309

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber washers included with your strings are for dampening the shrieking tone of metal-core strings. Sometimes they come with black tubing, which is threaded on, or they come with rubber washers, which I've found are best installed by simply placing under the string so that the string makes contact with the bridge (when at full tension), but is dampened on either side by the washer, like so:

Please do not move the soundpost without an idea of what you're doing. The soundpost should be placed in with just barely enough tension to keep it upright. The soundpost is placed with enough sensitivity where squeezing the sides of the violin is enough to move it. A properly placed soundpost is integral to good tone, and you should not move it once it has been set up by a reputable luthier. It takes years of trial and error to develop a sense of where to place the soundpost. Even so much as a millimeter in any direction can completely change the tone.
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad - I am happy to learn about the "washers."

Shirley
Chad48309

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this is all player preference. It's just included for convenience.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new strings on a new violin Reply with quote

maricas wrote:
...So I purchased a new bridge. I have read posts about marking grooves and will work on those suggestions....

Even the bridge has to be setup properly (i.e. bridge height, proper weight, curvature, cut outs, feet fitted to the shape of violin top).

As Chad and Shirley commented, it would do you well to take the violin to a reputable luthier to have it properly setup.
maricas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for your replies. I am on a search for a luthier not too far away so I don't have to ship the violin. Perhaps in Calgary....
caeman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad48309 wrote:
The rubber washers included with your strings are for dampening the shrieking tone of metal-core strings. Sometimes they come with black tubing, which is threaded on...

Here is a picture of my violin's bridge and strings with the rubber de-shriekers:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: