Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Hairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Short Hairs Reply with quote

I have a nice bow whose frog is 1/4 inches closer to the tip than my other bows (when tightened). Is this common? Good? Bad? The bow seems well balanced and is easy to play with. It seems light, but I have not weighed it, could this just be the position of the frog? When I have it rehaired will it remain the same or will the frog be moved back farther?
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends.
WHen the frog is in the full foward position does the ahir loop away from the stick?
If so, then it seems that the hairs have stretched since it has been rehaired lst. WHen was that by the way?
If this is the case you will truly appreciate it a few hours after the fresh rehair!.
DO you release the tension on the hairs after you play or do you put the bow back in the case under playing tension?

IF the hairs are not sagging when the frog is in the relaxed position then maybe the mortice was cut in the wrong place or the butt end itself might have been reworked.

Most likely the first scenario.

Jack Havivi
Amalia

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has not been rehaired for at least a few months (I did not have it before that time). I always loosen my bows after playing and the hairs do sag on this bow when I loosen it, just as on any other bow.

Could this bow have been designed this way? With the frog 1/4 " more toward the tip? I would think that altering a normal bow in this manner would throw the balance way off.

Could this be some change that was made to compensate for worn inner workings of a frog?
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairs should not sag when the tension is released, it should hold the ribbon and the hairs should be close to the stick.

the bow could have been worked on and yes it will affect the blance.
It could also have been refrogged... hard to tell.

might help to get a rehair, get the tension back where it should be and help move the frog foward when it is at playing tension.

Jack Havivi
Amalia

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see what you mean about the sagging now. I don't think this bow is any different than any of my other bows, new or old. I will double check when I play today.

What do you mean by "forward"? Is "forward" more toward the tip or away from the tip? When this bow is in it's playing position (tightened) the frog is still 1/4 " closer to the tip than my other bows when they are in their tightened position. Could this be why the bow also seems lighter? It does bounce better on some of those difficult bouncy bowings than my other bows.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I misread your OP.

I thought you said 1/4 further back not towards the tip.

IF the length of the bows are the same then I would say that someone did some mortice work or a new frog that has the eye in a different position.
You can check the mortice lengths side by side to judge the position.

it will affect the balance. might very well make it seem lighter.

Foward is in the relaxed, non-playing position.

It is not too common to see this in bows, but there are all kinds of things out there.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Hairs Reply with quote

Amalia wrote:
When I have it rehaired will it remain the same or will the frog be moved back farther?

All depends on the rehair job... when I rehair I like to get the length of hair so that there is about 3 to 4 mm difference (slack) between the location of the frog in the most forward position and the tensioned playing position. You can see this distance by turning the screw out to where the frog cant move forward anymore , then by hand just slide the frog back to about the playing tension and the gap between the screw and the end of the shaft is the difference.
Problem for you is that every rehair will be slightly different and the difference between rehair persons can be significant... be sure to discuss your need with the person rehairing your bow... and they should be able to closely approximate your specific wish!
good luck!
Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: