Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

violin music on guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitariAri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: violin music on guitar Reply with quote

I am a guitarist who loves violin music. I've been doing some research on famous transcriptions of violin music to guitar, and I'd like to get the opinion of some violinists on this work. I wrote articles on two of my favorites:

J.S. Bach's Chaconne on Classical Guitar
Paganini's 24 Caprices on Classical Guitar

Obviously I picked some of the hardest pieces out there! But then again, that makes it more fun Smile
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello GuitarAri,

Thanks for introducing yourself to the forum. I hope you find this forum helpful to you.

I love guitar also, and have a number of pieces for violin and guitar. Guitar is often an accompaniment like the piano is to the violin.

What sort of opinion are you seeking? The guitar although it cannot duplicate many effects of the violin, it is nevertheless still beautiful, a different form of art.

The guitar transcriptions are excellent
GuitariAri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lemuel,

Thank you for the speedy reply! I'm glad that you liked these transcriptions. You asked what sort of opinion I was looking for. I guess that I wanted to know if any violinists thought that the music somehow lost its effect completely when played on guitar.

Transcriptions are a dicey thing in that sense. I'm so happy to have this music available on the instrument that I've spent years learning to play. However, a few friends of mine say "You should just play music written for guitar on guitar. It's wierd to play violin music on guitar." So I thought that I would find a violin forum and get some extra opinions.

It sounds like your opinion is similar to mine. Which is that this music is beautiful, and it sounds pretty good on both instruments.

Now that I think about it, since this is a forum for violin experts, I wonder if you can tell me a bit more about what exact effects are used in these pieces that can't be duplicated on guitar. While I've spent years studying music, I never took any violin lessons, and would appreciate learning more.

Now that I think about it, I could use information like that to improve my articles. I could include a section about the limitations of the transcriptions.

Again, thanks for your quick reply Lemuel!

Ari
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitariAri wrote:
Hi Lemuel,

Thank you for the speedy reply! I'm glad that you liked these transcriptions. You asked what sort of opinion I was looking for. I guess that I wanted to know if any violinists thought that the music somehow lost its effect completely when played on guitar.

Transcriptions are a dicey thing in that sense. I'm so happy to have this music available on the instrument that I've spent years learning to play. However, a few friends of mine say "You should just play music written for guitar on guitar. It's wierd to play violin music on guitar." So I thought that I would find a violin forum and get some extra opinions.

It sounds like your opinion is similar to mine. Which is that this music is beautiful, and it sounds pretty good on both instruments.

Now that I think about it, since this is a forum for violin experts, I wonder if you can tell me a bit more about what exact effects are used in these pieces that can't be duplicated on guitar. While I've spent years studying music, I never took any violin lessons, and would appreciate learning more.

Now that I think about it, I could use information like that to improve my articles. I could include a section about the limitations of the transcriptions.

Again, thanks for your quick reply Lemuel!

Ari

- The primary factor is the violin bow - most obvious being the long sustained notes. Then there is slurred bowing (guitar still sounds detached).

- Many different types of detached bowing (from legato to the various different forms of staccato). there are different guitar picking styles, but I wonder if there is one for each bowing type.

- When playing the bow near the bridge, you can get a pretty edgy/sharp sound - not often heard, but it exists like in a particular section of the "Flight of the Bumblebee" by Rimsky-Korsakov.

- Glissando on harmonics.

These are the ones that come to my mind at the moment.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play both (badly) and it never has occurred to me to "transpose" music for the violin to guitar or vice versa as the cover a fairly similar range of notes (Albeit that the guitar goes 3 semi tones lower than a violin). I just play the music on which ever I want.

That said, as noted, there is a rhythm to playing a violin which comes from changing from an up to a down bow stroke, or sluring across several notes in one stroke which I can't see a fretted instrument being able to do.

As for comments about how a violin sounds played close to the bridge or down the fingerboard, similar is true of a guitar.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:
....As for comments about how a violin sounds played close to the bridge or down the fingerboard, similar is true of a guitar.

Yes, you are quite right, thanks for the correction. I happen to play some classical guitar as well. Both give brighter sound as you get closer to the bridge, and warmer more mellow sound as you go away from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: