Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin weight + construction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atsem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Violin weight + construction Reply with quote

Hello, I bought a cheap electric violin to start practicing. I don't necessarily care how terrible the violin sounds at this point. I just want to get basics, but this violin is heavy, and I have questions about it.

1. Should I be able to take my left hand off of the neck and have it stay horizontal? In other words, should I be able to hold the violin with my chin and shoulder alone? I currently can't do this because of the weight of the violin, and I can't finger very well because of this.

2. The strings are metallic sounding, but I believe this is because of the brand. They are preludes.

3. Could I perhaps cut and/or replace parts of the violin with different materials or just omit pieces to make it lighter?

Thank you for you time! I really hope I can get this solved so I can practice more.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... 1. Should I be able to take my left hand off of the neck and have it stay horizontal? In other words, should I be able to hold the violin with my chin and shoulder alone? I currently can't do this because of the weight of the violin, and I can't finger very well because of this.

Basically, yes with the help of a shoulder rest of some kind.

Although, I'm now not a fan of shoulder rests, others will no doubt find it most helpful to them. For years, I used the shoulder rest - allowing the violin to be held in horizontal position without holding it with my left arm and hand. Since I have a long neck, the shoulder rest (I was using Kun shoulder rest) attached to the back of the violin filled the extra space/gap between the violin back and my collar bone and shoulder area. With just the weight of the head on the chinrest, the violin remained secure between the chin and shoulder. (Very recently, I've stopped using shoulder rests for special reasons).

For you it would likely make more sense, since electric violins are heavier than acoustic ones (that is if your violin is solid body). However, if you have an acoustic one with just a piezo pickup or microphone of some sort, I encourage you to learn to play without the aid of the shoulder rest. Start slow and take frequent rests to allow time for your nervous system to get adjusted.

It is important to avoid continuous pressure of your left shoulder against the back and chin on the chinrest as to avoid tension which could lead to neck and shoulder pain.

Quote:

2. The strings are metallic sounding, but I believe this is because of the brand. They are preludes.

Electrical components will introduce metallic/harsh sounds. Steel strings tend to sound metallic also. Prelude strings are steel core.

Quote:

3. Could I perhaps cut and/or replace parts of the violin with different materials or just omit pieces to make it lighter?

Whoa...although you mentioned you "don't necessarily care how terrible the violin sounds at this point", you did mention the metallic sound of the Preludes. Altering parts and materials of the violin will definitelyalter the sound.
Atsem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! I'll start practicing with the weight in my left hand from now on, but I'd imagine that when I'm returning my hand to a lower note from a higher, I will want some pressure on my shoulder and neck to keep the violin from slipping. I figured it was the Prelude's making the metallic sound, and yes my violin is a solid body.

Thank you for the response. I'm not depressed about my violin's weight now. Have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: