Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

string length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: string length Reply with quote

I have a 325 mm from the nut to the center of the bridge with the bridge feet
center of the notches also the finger board is also short 5 mm 265 mm
I have 55mm to the tailpeice saddle is 330 mm not normal for string length . Would this affect the sound ? Should i make it 330 for string length no matter where the bridge feet set with the notches Any idea anyone Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benedict White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it sound and play?

I have done some checking on my violins, and it seems my nut to bridge length is approx 327 MM, with between 45 and 50 mm to the tail piece saddle though that is irrelevant as one of them has fine adjusters on all strings which shortens the strings from that point of view.

In that sense being two mm out does not seem too bad to me, are you sure your bridge is perpendicular to the body of the violin? (For that matter how sure am I?)

I hope that helps!
bata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: string length Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
I have a 325 mm from the nut to the center of the bridge with the bridge feet
center of the notches also the finger board is also short 5 mm 265 mm
I have 55mm to the tailpeice saddle is 330 mm not normal for string length . Would this affect the sound ? Should i make it 330 for string length no matter where the bridge feet set with the notches Any idea anyone Ken

Hi Ken,
325mm for overall stop is usually correct for a full size 4/4.
Are you sure that it is in fact a 4/4 violin. A 265mm long fingerboard is closer to a 7/8 instrument at 262mm. You might need to confirm the body length and bout dims first.
You dont say what the neck stop is i.e. the dimension from south side of nut to north edge of body plate, usually this is 130mm. This is multiplied by a ratio of 2:3 to give the body stop, usually 195mm. Add the two together to get the location of the "f" notches. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules. The string length is usually 327mm using an included angle of 158deg over the bridge.
I tend to go with the stop lengths as described and let the string length vary. Not by more than a few mm though.
Different string lengths and bridge locations will affect the sound as will the location of the sound post, but that is another story.
Tony
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: string length Reply with quote

Tony & Benedict Thank you for the reply
I checked out the body length it is a full size . I have Stroble`s book Useful Measurements & it is ok
It sounds ok & has a good respond I know that the string length at the tailpeice has an effect on sound .
Oh well we just had another foot of snow today we have about 4 ft on the ground now I think my brother
in-law went out & seen his shaddow & caused the storm !!!!
Thanks again Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know bridge to tail piece length affected sound. How does it affect it, and what about fine adjusters?
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Hi Benedict Reply with quote

Hi benedict I use a tailpiece that comes wth fine tuners one fine tuner
on the e string seems ok I found that the the fiddle sound kind of dull & did not
respond as quick .55mm is all part of the set up.I dont think a couple mm one
way or the other would matter now that is just my opinion .
There was a post here on string length a while ago maybe someone with more knowlege
could explain more . Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: