Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quartet of Peace Videos The making and playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBurns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Quartet of Peace Videos The making and playing Reply with quote

As some of you may already know, I've been following with keen interest a project about the making of The Quartet of Peace, which has each instrument in the quartet named after one of South Africa's four Nobel Laureates.

There is now a web-page that has all of the videos in one clip, for sale with the music played on the quartet as the background soundtrack.

http://www.quartetofpeace.com/Stream2.html

"Proceeds to Quartet of Peace Instrument Investment Fund."

The options are to buy a DVD that will allow multiple views, or to pay a smaller sum and view the videos online twice.
There are various qualities of format also offered.

On the above web-page there is also a link to provide a sample of the video.

As a first timer trying to make a violin, with a woodworking experienced background, I found the videos helpful, as words and pictures will only take one so far. Seeing for instance the 'rub-joint' being done helped me a lot. Doing a rub joint is something that seems unique to hide glue and instrument making. Woodworkers usually use 'biscuits' for these type of joints with TightBond (aliphatic) glue.

Players may find this interesting since they may come away with a better understanding of what it takes to make an instrument.

Very inspiring to me as well, as someday I hope to make a quartet myself .... if I can find the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: