Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sacconi book
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghammond

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Sacconi book Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here owns the Sacconi book "The Secrets of Stradivari". If so, do you consider it a worthwhile effort to hunt down a copy? It seems as though it's quite pricey and out-of-print in most places, but I could probably get a copy (if there's a will, there's a way), but I just wanted to make sure that it's worth the time/effort. What kind of information does it cover?

I was interested in getting it because I was looking over a website about plate tuning and it mentioned the book.

Thanks,
G
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great book for learning to see violins, what to look for, and for the details of Strads in particular. It is not a book about making, per se. I think it's worth owning; I read my copy until it fell apart, and still refer to it, but it depends how geeky your mindset is.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful review Michael.
ghammond

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike! Sounds like it's a worthwhile hunt to try to find a copy.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in Italian for sale...

as for the book itself. it is handy for learning about strads and how strad graduated his instruments, every piece of wood has to be taken individually in my humble opinion.
ghammond

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 hours worth of photocopying and one really miffed librarian, but I got it! Smile
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not something that would count as "fair use" so you should not do it!*

*If you are going to do it anyway you should not brag about it...
famuswood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love to get a copy should anyone get wind of availability!
Thanks.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here... but it may take a while...
http://www.orpheusmusicshop.com/category-51/SL024.html or
http://www.ericblot.com/editoria/testi/Testo_Sacconi.htm
Cheers, Mat
Chad48309

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:

First of all, Sacconi is dead and any profits for this book that could go to anyone would go to some member of his family that didn't lift a finger to produce the original work. Second, the book costs an astronomical amount and is out of print. Without redistribution, whether legal or illegal, the information will continue to fade away until it is entirely unobtainable by any interested party, and then that information is lost. Regardless of what publishers may think, piracy promotes the archiving of information so that it may continue to be present for all time. I consider that far more noble than lining the pockets of those who have little to no involvement in the process involved in creating the original work.

I hope that doesn't sound argumentative. I'm just trying to make a point. How on earth are we supposed to learn from sources when they continue to become increasingly unobtainable?
famuswood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mat. I appreciate the info. Looks like it may be quite tough to find.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad48309 wrote:
Benedict White wrote:

First of all, Sacconi is dead and any profits for this book that could go to anyone would go to some member of his family that didn't lift a finger to produce the original work. Second, the book costs an astronomical amount and is out of print. Without redistribution, whether legal or illegal, the information will continue to fade away until it is entirely unobtainable by any interested party, and then that information is lost. Regardless of what publishers may think, piracy promotes the archiving of information so that it may continue to be present for all time. I consider that far more noble than lining the pockets of those who have little to no involvement in the process involved in creating the original work.

I hope that doesn't sound argumentative. I'm just trying to make a point. How on earth are we supposed to learn from sources when they continue to become increasingly unobtainable?

And where exactly does what I say disagree with that?

Just out of interest, when was it published? It may well actually be out of copyright and could be a project for the Gutenberg project....
Chad48309

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:
Chad48309 wrote:
Benedict White wrote:

And where exactly does what I say disagree with that?

Just out of interest, when was it published? It may well actually be out of copyright and could be a project for the Gutenberg project....

Published in 1979. No way Gutenberg would touch that.
ghammond

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the topic of books, I just received "Antonio Stradivari - His Life & Work" by the Hill brothers. I'm sure most of you experienced luthiers already own this book, but for those of you who are new (like me) this is a very good and informative book on Stradivari's life, work and personal artistic style. The prose in this book are precise and clear which makes for an enjoyable read.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Chad, I see.

Well, I fall back on the the maxim don't brag about it then Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: