Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My dreydl so far :)...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: My dreydl so far :)... Reply with quote

Just a quick intro.

I am a beginner and taking the time to practice a little every day.

I feel a little bad since every time I begin playing I think I hear the person who lives upstairs walk out to leave the room *blush* but I really wanna play...

I make sure I play at reasonable hours and not for too long although I want to play more I don't want to feel restricted. I guess if it got that bad then they'd tell me somehow...(I live in a large anonymous apartment block where noone speaks to each other). I was considering finding out their door number and leaving a little letter with my email to tell me if it bothers them so I can keep it to certain times.

Maybe just leave it and continue as I am unless they let me know. It might all just be me overreacting and they can't hear it at all.

I anticipate some good info sharing on here since it took me a while to find a populated violin forum that wasn't just desolate and full of spam.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Playing violin in an apartment building Reply with quote

Hi Ode to Tragedy, (although I'd like to address you Ode to Victory)

I understand exactly what you are feeling when it comes to playing in an apartment. When I was single, I lived in an apartment buildings for years (from low income to moderate income level).

I don't know how good your apartment insulates sounds, but it turns out that most of these apartments have pretty good insulation. It is interesting that in every apartment building that I stayed out, I would here frequent parties with loud rock music blazing from adjacent apartments, upstairs and downstairs also. Closing all windows, the bass would be all that I could hear. No one seemed to complain and it didn't bother me...so why would a much softer sound from a violin matter.

I wouldn't worry about disturbing other people. Just play and play and play...until someone comments. Most of the time, no one notices. I doubt if anyone can even hear you, unless you are right by your apartment entrance.

You may want to also investigate getting a violin mute, if you are concerned about playing in the middle of the night (which I did many times).

Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the forum.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I tried again and definitely heard them move as soon as I started playing.

Anyhow killing two birds with one stone I went into the spare room I have and bought a music stand and put my old computer chair in there.

Since playing in there I haven't heard any abrupt movements from above.

I will keep playing in there now though I will be keeping my violin in my bedroom for when I have lady-friends around to show off to (once I am better, but it can still stay in here for 'show' for now Smile).

The spare room also seems to have the upshot of having better acoustics since there is less 'stuff' in there.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
Thanks,

I tried again and definitely heard them move as soon as I started playing.

Anyhow killing two birds with one stone I went into the spare room I have and bought a music stand and put my old computer chair in there.

Since playing in there I haven't heard any abrupt movements from above.

I will keep playing in there now though I will be keeping my violin in my bedroom for when I have lady-friends around to show off to (once I am better, but it can still stay in here for 'show' for now Smile).

The spare room also seems to have the upshot of having better acoustics since there is less 'stuff' in there.

I can't help smiling, since your setup reminds me so much about my life. Sorry I forgot to mention it...my bedroom was the only room I eventually wound up playing in. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: