Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy is it to turn play some of my fav tunes on violin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: How easy is it to turn play some of my fav tunes on violin? Reply with quote

I really enjoy singing along to some of these tracks and thought the melodies seem really simple such that it doesn't seem to difficult to play on violin.

So here as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47d6MFyDEbo

Do you reckon it would sound good to play that on violin? I was thinking it risks sounding monotonous since there isn't much variation then again I dunno if it would sound any more monotonous than the original?

I am thinking about learning to play simple tracks on violin like this so I can then sing along as well.

Does it sound feasible?

Ok so I just tried and it sounded like absolute crap Sad. Not cos I couldn't play it but it just didn't sound right on violin...any ideas why/how to make it violin ready? I'm thinking the little breakdown would sound better on violin perhaps.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is that the way the melody is played lacks rhythm, which instead comes from the drums.

So you could play it on violin, if you had a drum track to play to.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then Id only have the breakdown bits to play in violin though right?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How easy is it to turn play some of my fav tunes on viol Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
Do you reckon it would sound good to play that on violin? I was thinking it risks sounding monotonous since there isn't much variation then again I dunno if it would sound any more monotonous than the original?

I am thinking about learning to play simple tracks on violin like this so I can then sing along as well.

Does it sound feasible?

Yes, it is feasible. Although it is not my style of music, the theme melody can be played beautifully. Of course a violin sounds better with an accompaniment.

With more advanced ear training and music theory, you can add your own variations on the theme...but first start by playing the basic melody in different octaves. This song is sung in 4/4 timing in the key of D major. The singer begins on "Mi" which would correspond to F# (second finger) on the D string (lower octave) or F# (first finger) on the E string (higher octave). You could play the entire melody through once on the lower octave, again the higher octave and then finish on the lower octave.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say melody do you mean the breakdown bit or the whole thing?

Is there any chance you could record it for me on violin or someone else? cos I have no idea really how it would sound played well and if I like it then it would inspire me to learn how to do it myself. It would really open the doors for me in terms of inspiration and motivation cos then I would always be on the look out for tunes I liked (sung most likely) which I could adapt for violin.

As for accompaniment, I like the idea of being a 'one man band' not having to rely on people and all so how could one do that? I have seen people use drum machines and stuff as their accompaniment and hit it with their foot and stuff to cue loops on and off.

I prefer the idea of just using violin though if practical. I am interested in singing and violin. I mean I understand violin will sound BETTER with accompaniments but can it still sound cool as a stand alone. I know when heifitz plays solos on his own it sounds 'complete' enough to me but I dunno if those tunes were 'made for solo' or what.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
When you say melody do you mean the breakdown bit or the whole thing?

Is there any chance you could record it for me on violin or someone else? cos I have no idea really how it would sound played well and if I like it then it would inspire me to learn how to do it myself. It would really open the doors for me in terms of inspiration and motivation cos then I would always be on the look out for tunes I liked (sung most likely) which I could adapt for violin.

As for accompaniment, I like the idea of being a 'one man band' not having to rely on people and all so how could one do that? I have seen people use drum machines and stuff as their accompaniment and hit it with their foot and stuff to cue loops on and off.

I prefer the idea of just using violin though if practical. I am interested in singing and violin. I mean I understand violin will sound BETTER with accompaniments but can it still sound cool as a stand alone. I know when heifitz plays solos on his own it sounds 'complete' enough to me but I dunno if those tunes were 'made for solo' or what.

Hello Ode,

I mean the melody (the notes that are sung only).

I will try to get a recording (with some variations) for you. Please give me some time...
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure; much obliged.

so are you saying the notes that are sung you play with a violin instead of singing?

Does this mean it would sound weird to also sing the exact same notes or would it sound good?

Wouldn't it sound too monotone then?

This is really cool. I just realized some of the implications of your statement that you can play the main sung melodies on violin. Firstly it made me realize what makes signing sound good is the melodies they use like anything else (maybe a no brainer for most but I'd never thought of it). Secondly, since you mentioned that violins are better with accompaniments, and also that you can do sort of improvs of the originals then I was thinking I could do 'jams' along to my favourite tunes.

This is really great news to me cos it opens up a whole new world of musical possibility Smile.

I just tried playing another tune by the same artists of the main melody the guy sings and it came out nice.

This is WAY more fun than learning crappy 'aloutte' and the like from books though I'll still practice those things as part of the 'curriculum'.

I'll give the original tune a go now.

I'm thinking I can 'accompany' the original tunes with my violin playing in the breaks when they aren't singing, correct?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
sure; much obliged.

so are you saying the notes that are sung you play with a violin instead of singing?

Does this mean it would sound weird to also sing the exact same notes or would it sound good?

Wouldn't it sound too monotone then?

This is really cool. I just realized some of the implications of your statement that you can play the main sung melodies on violin. Firstly it made me realize what makes signing sound good is the melodies they use like anything else (maybe a no brainer for most but I'd never thought of it). Secondly, since you mentioned that violins are better with accompaniments, and also that you can do sort of improvs of the originals then I was thinking I could do 'jams' along to my favourite tunes.

This is really great news to me cos it opens up a whole new world of musical possibility Smile.

I just tried playing another tune by the same artists of the main melody the guy sings and it came out nice.

This is WAY more fun than learning crappy 'aloutte' and the like from books though I'll still practice those things as part of the 'curriculum'.

I'll give the original tune a go now.

I'm thinking I can 'accompany' the original tunes with my violin playing in the breaks when they aren't singing, correct?

Yes, the part that is sung is the melody, the main tune. It is the part that you would hum alone without all those drum and synthesizer beats in the background (although at the beginning the melody is played a little with the synthesizer using orchestra and choir emulation). The melody is how songs are remembered and recognized by. It is the soprano parts of a choir.

For this reason, it is not monotonous. It would not be weird to sing along with the same notes of a melody.

I'm not too sure what you mean by monotone? Do you mean playing one note only at a time? If so, there is absolutely nothing monotonous about this. Most violin music I know plays one note at a time. It is only in advanced playing that you start playing two notes at a time (i.e. double stops).

Books from your curriculum maybe boring, but in all likelihood there are important skills that you would miss out on if not completed, such as timing, dynamics and accidentals, bowing technique,...etc., all important in the art of music.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By monotone I meant I thought it might sound weird if you were only playing the main melody on violin whilst also singing it since they would both be in synch and there wouldn't be any depth say compared to if you played one melody with violin and sung a different one.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
...Is there any chance you could record it for me on violin or someone else? cos I have no idea really how it would sound played well and if I like it then it would inspire me to learn how to do it myself. It would really open the doors for me in terms of inspiration and motivation cos then I would always be on the look out for tunes I liked (sung most likely) which I could adapt for violin...

Here are the audio links. There are really endless variations possible for any given tune or melody.

http://www.violins.ca/audio/odetotragedyaudio.htm
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Do you have to have a good grasp of music theory to know what will sound good when doing variations? Maybe not nec theory but a good ear for what notes would sound good I imagine, i.e. a good knowledge of the violin/instruments and it's notes.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
Thanks for that.

Do you have to have a good grasp of music theory to know what will sound good when doing variations? Maybe not nec theory but a good ear for what notes would sound good I imagine, i.e. a good knowledge of the violin/instruments and it's notes.

If you have a good ear, know your instrument (audibly where the notes are) and have a good imagination, you can do variations as well without music theory. If you also have music theory it can only add more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: