Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning Thao-Nguyen-Xanh-Sad-Romance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Learning Thao-Nguyen-Xanh-Sad-Romance Reply with quote

Here is the link to the sheet music.

Here is the link to the tune on youtube.

I will write my sticking points as I go.

Firstly, on the 1st line can someone tell me what the little straight lines are that go from E note to G#. At 1st I thought it was the 'tied note' symbol but reading my music theory book it said that only notes at the same pitch can be tied.

Through trial and error listening to the track and trying myself I sort of figured out it's where you 'pitch bend' on the same note to another (i.e. in the same bow movement). Is this right plus what is the correct terms for this? Even why I tried it though it sounded awful and nothing like the original. The G# sounded very discordant even though my autotuner told me I was hitting the g# note just fine. I tried it again just now and seemed to be getting better at it though. When I played the note more softly and also pressed more gently it seemed to have a better effect a little closer to what I hear in the track.

It would be cool if others could upload their recordings of this to give compare and contrasts. I am extremely clunky at it still but I'm picking it up.

I'm trying the second line which is taking me a while cos I still don't know how to read music plus the quicker fingerings are proving a challenge so it's a couple notes a time type deal til I get the 'knack' then trying another little portion etc. I can do the first bar now sort of and am just beginning the second.

Another issue I'm having, when bowing, is how do you move bow from on one string to the other without there being a scratchy noise at the end as the pressure moves off one string and onto the next? Each time I try it seems to scratch as the pressure is lifted from the last string.

Maybe once I 'get' some sort of proficiency with one line of the piece I can record it and upload it for critique and do it in chunks till I get it all Smile.

I'm quite happy taking as long as it takes on a harder piece like this til I get it. I see it as a higher challenge (than the beginner tunes) but higher reward. Actually, rather than being disheartening, I find it rewarding right now since I'm alot better at it than when I first started.

What sort of 'level' would this piece be considered? so it gives me some sort of reference for future.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... that's in C major, there are no sharps at all, so G is natural, not G#, which would, on the E string be right next to F#, except F is natural as well, so is almost at the nut on the E string. I hope that helps.

So the line that goes from E to G (not G# as there are no G#'s in the piece) is probably an indication that you should slide to it, though I don't know. The curved lines are a slur, which means you keep the direction on the bowing the same as you change finger.

As for scratch between strings, difficult to say without seeing you play.

C major can be a bit tricky for some especially as you hit the top C a few times. This is an issue because it is beyond the 4th finger in the first postion. (Though only just).
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, so that would explain why it sounded bad. I'll give it a go with your new instruction the. thanks Smile
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is C Major in two octaves:

http://www.folkofthewood.com/Fiddle_Scales_Key_of_C.html

It also shows the fingerboard positions.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what sort of level would you say this piece is in terms of difficulty?
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, I have not tried playing it.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode,

This is a really beautiful sweet song! Thanks for sharing it. I will adopt it among my existing repertoire (If you come across anything more like this, please let me know!).

The level depends on how one plays it. The key is actually in A minor not C major. If you play it mostly in first position using open strings for D, G and E, minimal or no vibrations, then I would give this song a grade 2. (You'll have to reach a little for the C note on the E string).

However to play it closer to the one in the recording, the vibration, glissando and artistic expression...etc. I would estimate at level 5 minimum. The player at least plays in second position in some of those notes (vibrating on note G played on the A string for example).

In regards to the bowing, the wrist should be supple, not stiff. The bow should not be gripped but held lightly (you really need to see it).

Benedict, thanks a lot for helping out ...we need more members like you.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that C major should generally be played in second position, but I did not want to over complicate things and as you say that is a lot higher a grade.

What makes that A minor rather than C Major, bearing in mind the notes are the same.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:
Ode,

This is a really beautiful sweet song! Thanks for sharing it. I will adopt it among my existing repertoire (If you come across anything more like this, please let me know!).

The level depends on how one plays it. The key is actually in A minor not C major. If you play it mostly in first position using open strings for D, G and E, minimal or no vibrations, then I would give this song a grade 2. (You'll have to reach a little for the C note on the E string).

However to play it closer to the one in the recording, the vibration, glissando and artistic expression...etc. I would estimate at level 5 minimum. The player at least plays in second position in some of those notes (vibrating on note G played on the A string for example).

In regards to the bowing, the wrist should be supple, not stiff. The bow should not be gripped but held lightly (you really need to see it).

Benedict, thanks a lot for helping out ...we need more members like you.

Cool.

Yes I was trying to figure out if vibrato is an optional extra and after reading up the wiki for vibrato I surmised that it is an additional flourish added to the tracks in most cases rather than compulsory (I guess exceptions to every rule but generally that is what seemed to be the case). So it simplifies matters if I don't have to do it.

I realized last night it isn't my bowing that is at fault but that the scratching effect was coming from me putting my finger down on the next string and it hitting the E string thus causing it to screw up the E string sound.

I'm finding this hard because I have wide fingers. Any tips for this? It seems you have to have extreme precision cos my fingers will go over two strings very easily given the pressure I have to get just to make a solid note on the desired string.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size violin are you using? You could post a you tube video of you playing if you want people to see what you are doing right and wrong.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size is normal 4/4. I don't have any decent video recording equipment.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need a decent one... any one will do.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I haven't set it up in ages tho, so not sure how serviceable it is. I may do if the problem persists.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:
...What makes that A minor rather than C Major, bearing in mind the notes are the same.

Yes, A minor and C major have the same key signature. In music theory, A minor is the relative minor of C major and C major is the relative major of A minor. It takes an ear to hear majors versus minors. Minors sound sad, majors sound happy.

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
...I'm finding this hard because I have wide fingers. Any tips for this? It seems you have to have extreme precision cos my fingers will go over two strings very easily given the pressure I have to get just to make a solid note on the desired string.

It's a lot more difficult to spot the problem source remotely without seeing you. Do you have any qualified teacher who is helping you locally?

Wide fingers is not the problem but usually the result of improper angle and height of the hand position over the fingerboard. I read somewhere that Ruggiero Ricci (world famous violinist) had wide fingers also. The palm position I mentioned in another post is very important...palm of left hand more parallel with the violin neck. The last knuckles closest to the wrist on the left hand should be slightly above the fingerboard and the fingers over it should be rounded not flat.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you point me to a youtube video which shows proper hand position so then I could just emulate that and see if things improve?

No lessons yet though I may if the sticking points start mounting up.

I guess that I should just watch the greats (though it's hard to see their hands when they are going for it) and tutorials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: