Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obscure U.S. vintage violin value

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abclarker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Obscure U.S. vintage violin value Reply with quote

Hello,
I am curious to know if my violin warrants a good appraisal. They can be costly (for me, anyway). The maker was A.B. Clark, from Richmond, Indiana and the violin was made in 1895.
There are a few articles online about the maker, but only one referred to a value. An A.B. Clark violin was donated to Montclair State University and was appraised at $3,500. It was in excellent condition, whereas, mine is in good condition and 15 years younger.
Any tidbit of information about this violin would be greatly appreciated. Please note: I'm looking for any not a free estimate of value.
Thank you
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abc... A verbal preliminary opinion from a reputable shop should not cost. That opinion should form your decision as to whether a written apparaisal is warranted. Only when they start to put pen to paper does the meter start to tick.
Estimates on value without actually seeing and holding an instrument are pretty much worthless.
Good luck!... Mat
abclarker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mat Roop Reply with quote

Mat, thank you! Your reply prompted me to check out the sites of luthiers and they do, indeed, offer appraisals. Appraisal certificates, needed for collectors, insurance, dealers etc. are the costly ones. This is my first experience looking into appraisals and you have cleared up my confusion on a rudimentary element in the process. Thank you again, Richard
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true Mat. Most shops will also take a fee for a verbal appraisal, depending on the instrument of course. AB, the only reasons you might need a written appraisal is for insurance purposes and those are generally inflated by 20%, or for resale proof of value.
Is your nice violin insured?
abclarker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, thanks for posting. You are correct about the charges requested for verbal appraisals. Reputable luthiers in NYC have varying fees for all appraisals. Repair estimates are also all over the map from one shop to the next. Deciding on a luthier has become more a matter of trust than one of only cost. I have learned so much over the past few months, and appreciate all forum replies.
Since my first post on this page, my violin repairs have been estimated to be only $150-$250, depending on the shop. that includes minor gluing, a new bridge, a tail gut, a nut and strings. The consensus is that the violin is in very good shape for it's vintage.
Verbal appraisals range from $5,000-$8,000 retail. Christie's has estimated it might fetch $3,000-$4,000 at auction and has suggested I show the violin in their "Fine Instruments Auction" in October.
Thanks again for the post. Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: