Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tilting the Bow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Tilting the Bow Reply with quote

A popular argument always starts if anyone mentions tilting the bow. The main theme is the bow Has to be leaning towards the scroll . Some argue that the hair should always be flat on the string . So there you have two themes to stop the alternatives . The violin and bow were designed to have as much freedom of expression as possible. But there you have two ways to reduce the choices . I personally preferred to lean the bow towards me .I sometimes played with the hair flat on the string .Tilting the bow makes the flat ribbon of horsehair stand on a narrow edge about 1/8th inch wide and that makes a finer ,cleaner sound and lets the string vibrate more cleanly . Strings create nodes and anti nodes as you play . A wider flat bow hair will have a different sound .
I wanted to examine the idea of only playing on the hair edge by making a bow with the hair set vertically instead of horizontally. The hair of a bow is clamped flat as it emerges from the frog . If you p;lace a ruler so the edge is horizontal and lay the bow hair on edge across the ruler you will see the hair keeps it`s narrow shape well along the bow stick .It does not squash flat because all the hairs have a coating of rosin and remain in the same position in the ribbon ..So it would be possible to make a bow like that but you would lose the flat hair sound , You have lost some expression .
Young players worry about scratchy playing . They need to explore playing as scratchy as possible . Move the bow slower and press harder . Explore the limits of your sounds .
Then play with a faster bow and very lightly touching the strings . Breathing whispery sounds are a different expression . Play flat or tilted to see how extreme you can get .
You should remember the Stabbing Scene in the film Psycho . That`s to represent nastiness ,not beauty . But it`s still expression .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: