Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncomfortable vibrating in my left ear when playing notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Uncomfortable vibrating in my left ear when playing notes Reply with quote

I only noticed this recently since I've been getting a better tone when playing my notes.

It feels like the note has 'grabbed' the inside of my left ear and is 'shaking' it around.

This is rather uncomfortable and a little disheartening since after doing some research I see that there is quite alot of concern for hearing lose induced by the violin.

I used to DJ and wanting to get back into music again I initially thought of DJing then after a good deal of deliberation decided long term the violin (of many reasons) would be better since it is alot fairer and softer so won't damage my ears.

On a cursory look at the stats people give for the noise level of the violin they are saying the dbs are weighing in at the same level that Djing a live set would be! between 90-110 dbs at it's peak.

This is especially concerning since the violin's peak noise is ratcheted RIGHT next to the ear. So in a sense that is like putting your ear RIGHT next to the speaker when it's blaring away.

Like I said rather than JUST paranoia it does feel rather uncomfortable in my left ear on the strong notes.

Reading more I see the two main options seem to be- a mute for the violin or earplug/s for the left/both ear/s.

Looking on youtube examples the mute seemed to muffle the sound somewhat...is this the case or does it not hinder the sound for those who have used it?

I'd prefer use something to lower the sound of the violin without ruining the sound rather than an earplug I think just for preference. I already have earplugs and put one in the left while playing yesterday and it helped obviously but I am still exploring my options since I am in it for the long haul I want to start as I mean to go on, especially as my practice sessions increase in duration.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode,

Which notes and strings are you noticing it most on?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was going to note since playing more that I find it only really happens on the E string playing 3rd or 4th finger so not much of an issue I guess.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ode,

The E string affects my ear the most as well. Having measles with serious ear infection when I was young also complicates matters a bit.... but you get used to it.
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wax build-up in the ear can cause this. Have a Doctor check it out.
I have to go about twice a year to have mine removed. Especially
the left ear. If un-attended, it will impact the eardrum and have to
be removed with a small pick. A very unpleasant experience for sure.
Over the counter wax removal kits are not much good for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: