Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a beginner learn Paganini Caprice 24 in one year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can I do it?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

ryanvaughn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Can a beginner learn Paganini Caprice 24 in one year? Reply with quote

My name is Ryan Vaughn and I am not a musician. My wife Danielle Belen, however, is a world class violinist and teacher. She is currently the teaching assistant to Robert Lipsett at the Colburn School.

My challenge: under the expert guidance of my lovely wife, can I perform the Paganini Caprice #24 in one year?

I would like to know what this message board thinks of my chances and also if anyone is interested, to follow my progress on my blog:
http://www.vaughnvsviolin.com

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Yes, but the only question remaining is how well. Gonna take a serious effort on your part though. good luck.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just add that this reminds me of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy part where some one had to prove that they could move a mountain.

Either way it is a lot of work! Good luck, but it is doable.
Stradsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not be able to play the last few variations at all. It takes many years to accomplish the technical challenges that they entail. The right hand pizzicatos too will be nearly impossible to master in such a short time.
Nate Robinson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can a beginner learn Paganini Caprice 24 in one year? Reply with quote

I've seen your videos and read about your project. It is a lofty idea and I commend you for undertaking it. To answer your question, yes you can perform it, but personally I'd rather hear you play an easier piece at a high level rather than it be a struggle for you with something that's not currently in your range.

Would you start trying to bench press 300 lbs without ever having lifted weights before? No. You'd injure yourself, which could also happen in Paganini if you haven't had extensive training.

Learning violin is a gradual progression - there are no shortcuts. Paganini, is like that 300 lbs barbell - you want to come to the music with technique to serve it rather than the music owning you which unfortunately happens with these little kids who have stage parents.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Good luck on your studies!
BobW

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, I commend you on your initial determination, however you stated you are not a musician. This implied to me that you were making this a quest of music quantity rather than quality. It seems you lost interest, but it can be a good thing, where you can now enjoy the music at your own pace. Music should never be considered a competition, that's for horses. Enjoy the music. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: