Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I slur from one string to another...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: How do I slur from one string to another...? Reply with quote

I am finding it challenging to slur from say B on the A string to G on the D string since my finger will hit the A and cause the note to go bad.

What is the remedy? It seems to be a matter of having good timing cos my finger seems too wide to put it down before the bow hits the next string.

Do I have to land it just at the same time the bow is coming from the other on to the next string?

If not what else to help me with my slurring woes?
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 2 options, and you can use one or the other depending on the situation:

1- If you will place your 3rd finger in such a way that it hits the A string as you described then you'd HAVE TO place it together with your bow change, and not a moment earlier.

or

2- keep your fingers/hand more upright, as in playing double stop 3rds, where your 3rd finger on the D string would not hit the A-string at all.
This can be accomplished by moving your left elbow more in front of you (moving your left elbow counterclockwise from 6 o'clock position to 5 o'clock)

Practice your double stops, print Pavel Bytovetski's Double Stops from google, it's free, and get going, it starts very very easy, it's the best double stop book hands down.

Another possible issue is that you're holding violin in your hand too shallow. It's perfectly ok to allow your violin to sit deeper in your hand (which would thus raise your fingers more over the fingerboard and allow you to direct them more upright/vertically and not too flat so that they hit upper strings like you described.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I'll have a play around,

I tried making the finger in question more upright which helps a bit but still not consistent.

I'll figure it out sooner or later.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode,

Those photos that I had posted on violin left hand position where the left palm is more facing the fingerboard, and the simple exercise on how to get there was most helpful to the students I taught. Have you tried it?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonPolezhayev wrote:
2- keep your fingers/hand more upright, as in playing double stop 3rds, where your 3rd finger on the D string would not hit the A-string at all.
This can be accomplished by moving your left elbow more in front of you (moving your left elbow counterclockwise from 6 o'clock position to 5 o'clock....

Anton,

Perhaps there is some "secret" that I have not realized with great violinists. Doesn't moving the elbow into 5 o'clock position cause the natural relaxed vertical suspension of whole left arm to be lost?

I posted a number of photos about 3 weeks ago to illustrate this.

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1271&start=30

If I were to play a string of double stops in the 5 o'clock position it would bring tension pretty quick, to my left arm. Please enlighten me.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel, I think what we need is the see and hear Ode play in order to diagnose the problems.

Sound quality is not important, but it would allow us to see what is going on.

I simply do not accept that his fingers are too fat, though he may be placing them wrong or be using a 7/8 violin.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Benedict, I agree with you. It's much more difficult to teach without visual contact.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope the OP does Wink
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:
AntonPolezhayev wrote:
This can be accomplished by moving your left elbow more in front of you (moving your left elbow counterclockwise from 6 o'clock position to 5 o'clock....

Anton,

Perhaps there is some "secret" that I have not realized with great violinists. Doesn't moving the elbow into 5 o'clock position cause the natural relaxed vertical suspension of whole left arm to be lost?

I posted a number of photos about 3 weeks ago to illustrate this.

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1271&start=30

If I were to play a string of double stops in the 5 o'clock position it would bring tension pretty quick, to my left arm. Please enlighten me.

Hello Lemuel,

I love the pics you did and the exercise! Awesome!

Come to think of it I should have written: "6 o'clock instead of 7". As very often I notice people play with their elbow too much out and thus having trouble reaching notes on G string with 4th finger for example or the issue OP described in this thread.

In harder pieces using 3rds, chords and high positions on G string often results in elbow indeed going to 5 o'clock position. Violin is not exactly a very natural instrument... I'm jealous how pianists have their entire sound in front of them, and perform similar movements with both hands, and can sit etc... while we do this thing with turning of the head and so on.

As far as tension or pain goes, the advanced violinists that play stuff like Paganini on high level have developed endurance as well as various adaptations that their body underwent over the years. I remember how my back (right lat) used to hurt like hell after 4-5 hours of practice in college days despite relaxed good posture and plenty of sleep, good nutrition etc. But then it stopped... it's not that I did anything wrong or right or different or anything, my body just adopted and built up endurance. These days my back never hurts anymore even if I have to play all day every day.

Last edited by AntonPolezhayev on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Benedict White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher says my elbow should move (slightly) with the string being played.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:
My teacher says my elbow should move (slightly) with the string being played.

true.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate input but I find I should probably not bother writing these queries since 1stly it is hard for you guys to see (I don't have a video recorder) and secondly I usually start to figure these things out by just practicing more.

Sure it would help more to have someone teach me specifically but I don't have a vid and trying to explain by words is one of the worst ways I think.

As I said I usually start to figure them out after a few rounds anyway I just post them initially when I may be frustrated in that moment.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode,

Don't let us discourage you from posting. Every bit helps. Although I was not in front of Anton (a professional violinist in New York), he has posted information that has helped me quite a bit also. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: