Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angle of the bow while playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Angle of the bow while playing? Reply with quote

I had been playing at a 45 degree angle (i.e bow to strings) but it seems I was doing it the wrong way.

Why does everything with violin playing seem to be in the most awkward position Sad?

I noticed that on videos they have it so the bow's angle is facing outwards on the 45 rather than inwards the latter of which is what I presumed to be the more intuitive position so adopted without thinking about it much.

Why is it that it is played on this outward angle and is this mandatory or do some do it the other way?
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to play with the bow flat on the strings....

Others vary.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Angle of the bow while playing? Reply with quote

There are very good reasons for this angle. If you look at the videos of great violinists closely, you'll see that the whole right hand is hanging from the wrist. That is there is a bend or pivot point at the right wrist. This allows the wrist to be pliable or flexible, to avoid tension, and especially when playing very fast pieces.

Secondly, the right elbow is lifted up to the point that there is a straight horizontal line between the elbow and the wrist.

Thirdly, with the right hand hanging loosely toward the ground, you'll notice the fingers curl more toward you. The fingers become somewhat of a cradle for the bow to rest in. The wooden part of the bow stick would naturally tilts away from you in this case.

Playing on one side of the bow hair instead of flat is better at the frog end to balance out the extra pressure that occurs when the hand is near the strings (ie. on an up bow). When pulling on a down bow, the bow is played more flat on the hair because there is much less pressure at the bow tip.

Hmmm...I'm really having a hard time explaining it. I guess I'll need to get a video clip of this one too.

Last edited by Lemuel on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is that the right wrist must be VERY relaxed and pliable.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with flat bow. But often too much hair attacking the string all at once causes harsh and flat "rude" articulation, thus the tilt (away from you) when we're in lower half.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but why not tilt towards you? since when playing I've found that to be the more natural position to tilt it.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
Yes but why not tilt towards you? since when playing I've found that to be the more natural position to tilt it.

While human body can adjust to a wide variety of scenarios in this case a tilt away from you elevates your wrist over the bow and you thus suspend the bow, while tilting towards you lowers your wrist which results in sinking bow. For most applications it is nice to have an elevated, suspended, light and elegant bow use.

But there are spots when we want strong heavy sound, and we begin to lower the wrist and make the bow straight, and in some cases even tilt it the other way (towards you) but it's rare.

In other words when in lower half of the bow suspending the bow with your wrist up and bow hanging below it (like a crane supporting the weights) appears to create a more elegant and sensitive bow use.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton, Thanks a million...I could not have said it any better.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for the clarification- ill have to force myself to get used to it Sad.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
ok, thanks for the clarification- ill have to force myself to get used to it Sad.

It's actually rather natural and far easier.

Because naturally your hand would hang down if you relax it and let it go totally limp. So in this relaxed manner we hold the bow. In fact old-school books and teachers did not use the word "hold" but rather "suspend" the bow or "prevent the bow from falling on the floor" nothing more. We're not to grab the bow and not to squeeze the bow. We're to simply let it play as we guide it.

I have seen this exercise in an old Soviet book by Yenkilevich who taught many greats:
- you lift your right arm as if to play, but without the bow.
- You relax your hand, wrist and fingers totally and completely, letting them go 100% limp. Your hand will then hang down (with the wrist up)
- At this point you take a careful look at your right hand, this is how it is supposed to feel and look when you play. No spreading of the fingers etc. - You (or your teacher) then take a pencil (or a bow) and put it in your right hand while it's still in that position.
- Last step is to close the thumb slightly so that the bow doesn't fall out.

This is it. There is nothing else to this. This is how you bow.

The wording "suspend the bow" instead of "hold or grab the bow" appears to be particularly useful and very true.

It is worth noting that the elevated wrist acts as suspension would on your car. The elevated wrist and slightly bent fingers flex and absorb shocks from accents, string and bow changes and other hazards as we play.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful, thanks.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton,

Speaking of bowing, I need help on a specific technique.

Here's the new thread.

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9372#9372
Benedict White

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, whilst I adopt a different approach to how flat the bow is, I think we all agree that the bow hand must be utterly relaxed and the bow hold should not be a hold, but a cradle, almost like you were cradling a rare butterfly...
gavin_rossdale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice thread.. i thought at first that any angle of the bow will do.. depends upon the players comfort.. I think i really should have some violin lessons..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: