Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Examine 'memories of green' piece...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Examine 'memories of green' piece... Reply with quote

Here is one of my fav tunes from blade runner...took me quite a bit to find the sheet music for it...

http://img156.imageshack.us/g/memofgreen1.jpg/

*If you click the zoom function in the top right of the images it'll bring them up to a readable size

So it is originally meant for piano- would it be suitable for violin, I think so from the sounds of it although there is a few chords and stuff I am not sure what you'd do with.

How easy/hard will this piece be? I don't understand quite a bit of the arrangements.

Any other pertinent points to note about the piece? It doesn't seem that hard except from that most of it is in higher positions but the actual notes are pretty simple- just from what I gather from listening to it.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit tricky to me...
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I just tried it using my autotuner to match up what I am guessing are the correct notes and it was real hard as those notes were reaching right up the neck on E.

Prob be way easier just to learn it on piano for now Very Happy.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can see the notes are way up on the E string which is why I said it was tricky.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode,

Using your piano to help, you can transpose the notes one octave lower to make it easier for violin.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right; I had been thinking the same thing.

What does an octave lower equate to? How many lower on the staff/stave? do I shift the notes down?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you at least know the note names on the piano and how the notes repeat themselves after playing 7 white keys going up or down? So, if you know where on the piano the right hand plays those high notes, you would just move your hand towards the left until you hit the same set of note names.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a piano...

When I referred to learning to play it on piano I meant in the distant future when visiting my mother Smile.

I know how they repeat themselves on violin- a, b, c, d, e, f, g.. a..etc.

Let's stick with the violin if you care to explain it more as I have one and am more familiar with this instrument than any other now.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
...I know how they repeat themselves on violin- a, b, c, d, e, f, g.. a..etc....

It will require some work on your part - to do some transposition. Do you know the note names on the staff (those 5 lines and spaces in between)? You would have to manually count up to find the note names for those high notes and then transpose them to a lower note of the same note.

(Knowing that there are 5 lines and 4 spaces in a staff)

For example the first note in "Memories of Green" is an F#. Since it is two high for you to reach, you can write an F# on the top line of the staff which is also an F#.

The second note would be C#. You would write a C# in the second space from the top of the staff (in between the second and third lines of the staff).

The third note would be D. You would write D on the second line from the top of the staff.

It takes a little extra work, but you'll start to learn the names of those high notes if you do this often enough. When you start to play in higher positions, you'll recognize them right away.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see, So the notes would be just the same ones but at a lower level.

Yes I am familiar with what notes are which on the staff (not off by heart but if I went back to the source materials).

I'll give it a crack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: