Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angle of the violin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Angle of the violin? Reply with quote

I think I had been holding the violin a little too far to the left almost in a straight line with my shoulder.

I say this may be too far since I was finding it awkward to do a full bow stoke.

I moved it more over in front of me, less than 45 degrees and I found it easier to bow but also considerably more comfortable all round.

So what is the common wisdom on where it should be positioned?

I watched a few videos and one said it should be to the left where I had it before and another said 45 degrees which is closer to how I had it in the position I found more comfortable.

Also what angle should it be? totally flat or is it ok to be a bit slanted?

Is there some room for preference here rather than it being 'you must do it this or that way'?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Angle of the violin? Reply with quote

When I was playing with shoulder rest, the violin was up higher and more flat than now when I play without shoulder rest.

As you have discovered, it is much easier when the violin is around 45% off to the left. There is no absolute angle or slant to the left or the level of the violin. If you look at different violinist you will see that all have differences in way the violin and bow are held (Example: Heifetz held the violin high, Nathan Milstein held it low). Recently I noticed how compared to other violinist the fingers of James Ehnes go only a short distance over the bow stick.

The important thing is that there is no tension in your violin or bow hold.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to know that there are/have been variations even among the greats as it gives me one less thing to worry about provided I am comfortable and I am within the bounds of what others have done before- just to know I won't have to correct it later to any great degree.

Interesting what you say about the rest making it flatter for you cos my experience has been the opposite since I got one until recently- although I imagine it depends on which shoulder rest you use/d.

I actually found the opposite that I was more flat without than since I got it but I think this is more to do with me holding it off too the side too far.

The rest I got is the 'everest' which I found a real step up from- wood on bone which I found pretty intolerable. It felt like going from horse and cart to a modern automobile Smile.

Anyhow I found since the rest is so high, as the name might imply, it caused the violin to go beyond just filling the gap and had to slant off more. I found this a bit awkward at 1st when playing the E string. Anyway I found the moving it more in front of me corrected this too.

I really am a pro shoulder rester now though- it was also good to know many pros play with a shoulder rest too.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell it depends on whether you are playing the violin or fiddle.

With a violin you tend to have it higher up and more straight out (your more awkward position) and a fiddle tends to be more on your other position.

Apart from that the only other difference between a violin and fiddle tends to be the cut of the bridge, though the biggest difference is what is being played and by whom...

I hope that helps Smile
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:
...With a violin you tend to have it higher up and more straight out (your more awkward position) and a fiddle tends to be more on your other position...

I've seen fiddle players place their violin further down towards their chest (just above the breast).
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlers do all sorts of things.... Wink
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And incidentally, fiddle music is good as well as violin music, I like both...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: