Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viola vs. Violin - the technique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Viola vs. Violin - the technique Reply with quote

Just how different is the technique on the viola? I understand that it's tuned CGAD and that it's a bit bigger. I'd like to buy a cheap viola and practice it alongside the viola, just to learn more about it and enjoy the sound.

For example, I play in octaves relatively fast and effectively on the violin. Is the same technique as easy on the viola?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Viola vs. Violin - the technique Reply with quote

Basically the same principles apply for technique - bearing in mind that the viola is larger and heavier, your arm will be extended further out. Your fingers will have to stretch a little further apart for notes, octaves, double stops,...etc.

Since our minds are very habitual by nature, you will have to recondition your mind to match your bowing to the notes you want to play (Example: You would play some notes on the 1st string on the viola that you would normally play on the second string on the violin).
Stradsman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That's a great thing about playing a string instrument. You get an insight into a number of other instruments.
gavin_rossdale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other small adjustment I make is that I hold the violin a little more in front and the viola a little more to the side which I think is just a natural tendency due to the size of the instruments.
matveimediaarts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 14" viola is the same size as a violin, only with different tuning. You may want to start with one of those. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: