Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What could I use to make ridges on the violin neck?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: What could I use to make ridges on the violin neck? Reply with quote

I have put the sticky markers to see where I should be putting my fingers but that isn't too helpful cos almost all of the time I spend looking at the sheet music.

I thought it would be much more helpful to be able to feel them so I had the thought of creating something like frets for the guitar but my initial attempt failed. I initially tried using fishing line under the string and where it worked for the closest one I found when I tried to do press down on the next highest note it was distorted by the ridge. Actually if the other one was ridged too this might be negated since I only did one 'fret' and gave up- so I am look into that again.

I next tried putting blobs of silicone which didn't work either as they were too unwieldy.

aha! writing it just gave me an idea. I will try small bits of white tack as they will be most easy to apply!

Hmm, just tried that; too sticky. About to try the fishing line method again.

Any other suggestions welcome.

------------

Edit: The fishing line trick seems to be working really well. This has a couple of bonuses. What I've found is I have to come down nice and hard to get a proper tone and also if I don't hit the ridge of the fishing line squarely then the note will not hit and sound scratchy. So I think it'll be even better for training to hit the right pitch.

It almost feels like cheating it makes things so much easier Smile. All my notes are suddenly in almost perfect tune (provided I hit them squarely)- I was using the autotuner to test this. This allows me to concentrate on practicing other things (while of course training my fingers and ear at the same time).
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are truly unique...that's pretty neat! Surprised

What gauge is your fishing line and how are you attaching it?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauge, I'm not fisherman but let me check. .45/10kg. I obviously wanted thin as I could whilst still being able to feel it. I've just attached them with stickytape threaded under the strings.

It sounds so crisp when I hit the notes now it's great. It's really gonna increase the hardness of my fingers tho as I noticed holding the strings in relief like seems to make them alot more tough on the fingers.

I was reading up on callouses and not sure if I like the idea of full on ones. I will continue monitoring them.

I'll do another video of the scales just to show this off prob. sometime soon.

I'm going to my mother's in the country for a few days which is really boring otherwise so I'll have plenty time to practice.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...yes, pretty thick.

I play some classical guitar as well. Initially, it was painful, but the pain eventually goes away, and no callouses. Take frequent rests along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: