Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure where to post this? [Tuning]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Not sure where to post this? [Tuning] Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure where to post this, so if this is the wrong place, I apologize.

I'm having trouble tuning my violin. Like just today, while I was playing, I had it perfectly tuned, [As perfect as I could get it] and then I had to set my violin down for a minute, and when I came, it sounded horrible. I think its mostly the E string. The G and D string are easily tuned and stay tuned, but the A and E don't. Is it just my violin, or is it common and I am doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time.
-Sky
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not uncommon. It happens to me as well. It's more likely to happen if the strings are relatively new, or you are using gut strings, or there are large fluctuations or changes in temperature or humidity.
Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you. The strings are new, but I don't think are very good quality. It might be the humidity. Should I replace the pegs? They do not stay in place, I have to push them in sometimes while playing, and they slip a lot. I think I'm probably going to go rent a violin next weekend, and compare my violin to the rented violin.

Thanks
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, I doubt that it is the strings or the humidity.

The three common causes of slipping pegs I've experienced are:

1. Improper string winding around the peg shaft. Please read and look at the first two photos on this webpage.

http://www.violins.ca/info/tune_a_violin_peg_problems.html

2. Inferior or insufficient peg paste. The best peg paste I have ever used is Hill's peg paste which provides a balance between lubrication (easy tuning) and friction (keeping the pegs in place). If you look further down on the same webpage, you'll see more detailed information on this.

3. A mismatch between the taper of the peg's shaft and the holes of the peg box. Although I doubt this is the case with you, I would investigate this only if you didn't solve the problem after trying the above two methods.
Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it is improper string winding. I was looking at it this morning, and it seemed fine. I will have to look at the paste you suggested.

Thank you
Stradsman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they haven't come up with a better mechanism for keeping the strings tuned that the traditional pegs. You would think that with today's engineering and technology someone would invent a more precise design. Sometimes I think I spend 20 percent of my practice time tuning the thing.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You would think that with today's engineering and technology someone would invent a more precise design.

Yes, your absolutely right someone would. Ther're a few manufacturers for these. The one I'm most familiar with can be found below.

http://www.wittner-gmbh.de/aktuelles-presse/PressReleaseMusicTrades.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: