Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peg Compound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Peg Compound Reply with quote

I applied some peg compound to my E peg this morning. Before the peg would slip sometimes, but not always. Now with the peg compound on, I can't even tune it, it slips so much. I hardly applied any, thinking too much would make it slip. I took the tube and rolled it around once.

Do I just need to wait and let it dry?

Thanks
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalk.
Nate Robinson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Peg Compound Reply with quote

Anton I had no idea you posted here Haha small world! I just joined!

Yes chalk will do the trick as Anton says. I learned this following advice from a luthier in NYC. He suggests that the string touches the side of the pegbox to maintain friction. Ever since doing this my pegs never slip.

Also e-string pegs really don't ever need compound unless you use gut-E which requires you to use the peg to tune.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love it when there is something new to learn. Thanks for the tip Anton, and it's really good to hear from you again.

Nate...even without chalk, the strings against the side of the peg box helps the pegs to stay.

Quote:
Also e-string pegs really don't ever need compound unless you use gut-E which requires you to use the peg to tune.

Could you elaborate on your last statement? I use compound on E- string pegs, and why does gut-E require peg for tuning and other strings don't?
Nate Robinson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:
I just love it when there is something new to learn. Thanks for the tip Anton, and it's really good to hear from you again.

Nate...even without chalk, the strings against the side of the peg box helps the pegs to stay.

Could you elaborate on your last statement? I use compound on E- string pegs, and why does gut-E require peg for tuning and other strings don't?

Hi Lemuel, yes the friction created by the strings staying near the side helps significantly I think. I certainly have used chalk when I've had some major issues with pegs.

Well there's nothing wrong with using compound on the E-string, but what I meant earlier was that all gut strings require you to tune them with pegs (instead of the fine tuners) since they come with a loop end or in the case of a plain unwound gut string (which I use for my D&A string) you must make your own knots at the ends of the string that pass through the tailpiece. The sharp edges of a fine tuner will break the gut string. Back when players used all gut strings I don't think there was such a thing as fine tuners.

With the steel E you rely primarily on tuning with the fine tuner so I hardly use the E peg in this instance. I don't really use any compound on the E peg, for this reason, but I do with the other 3 pegs. Everyone has their way, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have a little on the E peg too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: