Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alfred Rordame, iv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arordame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Alfred Rordame, iv Reply with quote

Hello to everyone on the forum!

My name is Alfred Rordame, iv. I am currently on the waiting list to enter the Violin Making School of America in Salt Lake City, hence my interest in this forum.

I've been a casual (non-professional) wood worker my entire life (including a full remodel of my home in Seattle--built-ins, cabinetry, mouldings, etc.) and a musician (sitar, woodwinds, composer) since I was very young.

I'm now 55 and living in Mexico where I own a small hotel in the Yucatan with my lovely wife. We decided around a year ago to sell our hotel and embark on some new paths. This vocation has given me tremendous freedom and while pondering the question of "what to do next," I came upon the idea of violin making. I plan to enter VMSA as a complete novice as I don't want to unlearn bad habits.

Salt Lake was an interesting option for me as I grew up there. I recall many days walking downtown and being fascinated by the work going on at the school, visible through the large windows. My great-grandfather was a violist, so there is also something in my blood.

I've taken up violin lessons in Merida with a teacher from the Yucatan Symphony (Suzuki Method). This is my second attempt at a bowed instrument (the first being a brief and painful attempt to learn viola) and it is going well. I'd never been a big violin fan until I got one under my ear. After the horrible screeching and scratching, when some music finally began to flow, I was totally hooked.

I found this forum as I was looking around for information on violin making and am enjoying filling my head with the voices of other makers, sage advice, dire warnings, etc. and I look forward to getting to know some of you.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for the warm and detailed introduction. In this forum, you'll find yourself with good company when it comes to violin making.

Please have a look at the following link for most recent topics.

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
arordame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Lemuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: