Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tips for how much rosin to put on my violin bow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCviolinist323

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Any tips for how much rosin to put on my violin bow? Reply with quote

I'm looking for some quick tips on how much rosin to put on my bow/when to apply. How much is to much and how do I tell? I use Hill Dark Rosin. Thanks!
Nate Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you first get a rehair you have to use a ton of rosin. I usually rosin for about 3-5 minutes minimum after a rehair on new hair.

Normally though a few swipes will do (10-20 seconds).

I highly recommend Baker's Violin Rosin. They use the authentic Cremonese recipe dating back to Paganini's time. The major rosins of the last 20-30 years are really composite rosins - they put chemicals and preservatives mixed with the actual rosin. One interesting thing about Baker's is that even after 4-5 hours of practice, I hardly have to wipe off any rosin dust on my violin.
TCviolinist323

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I've noticed with my Hill Dark that even after only playing for 15-20 minutes a fair amount of rosin has collected on the instrument/strings.

I live in Wisconsin where it gets very humid in the summer and dry in the winter, so I've been trying to experiment with different types of rosin, though I've never used Baker's.
Nate Robinson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCviolinist323 wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I've noticed with my Hill Dark that even after only playing for 15-20 minutes a fair amount of rosin has collected on the instrument/strings.

I live in Wisconsin where it gets very humid in the summer and dry in the winter, so I've been trying to experiment with different types of rosin, though I've never used Baker's.

My pleasure! Yes I do recall that similar type of thing happening with the rosin build up with the Hill Dark when I used it. It is a good rosin. Baker's Violin Rosin in my opinion is the best I've tried. They have a website (you can find them on Google - I don't think I'm allowed to post links here). They have a waiting list because they like to make their rosin fresh, so in order to get it from them, you have to join their e-mail list.

Connecticut has pretty similar weather to Wisconsin (although your winters are probably a bit more cold). I hear you about trying different kinds of rosins.
Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a LOT of rosin to try to overcome the squeaks and inferior tone of my playing. My violin always had a thick coating of rosin dust as a result. Until I noticed that, because of the amount of rosin I was using, my strings also had a thick coating or rosin! I discovered that if I used a dry tissue, or a nice clean cork (with no oily residue), to keep the strings CLEAN, I found an immediate improvement in the tone and reduction of squeaks. In fact, the squeaks are GONE! As a result, about the only time I use rosin is when, with my strings freshly cleaned, if these issues of tone re-appear, I rosin the bow very lightly. Lots of rosin is not a cure for problems of tone caused by other issues. At least, that's how I see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: