Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello everyone! String crossing help needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Hello everyone! String crossing help needed. Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I have recently picked up my violin again and I am thouroughly enjoying it. I had taken violin lessons in the past (about 2 years ago for about six months or so), however life got in the way and had to put it away. I recently resumed lessons and have started grade 3 RCM. Being a mature violin student sure has made this interesting!

Now for my question...I am having some difficulty executing a proper string crossing (without touching other strings) when I go from the G string over to the E string. This is pretty much the only time I have this difficulty. Very frustrating! No issues with say a D string crossing over to the E string. Hope I'm making sense. Anyone have any advice on how to make this easier?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Justine,

Welcome to the forum.

In regards to G to E string crossings, please tell me the name of the music you are having trouble with.
Justine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lemuel, the peice is Albrechtsberger's Minuetto in D Major. Another trouble spot I have with this peice is the four slurred notes that go down from the e to the b. I've tried playing the D string open (which does make it a bit easier) as opposed to using the fourth finger on G. Not sure if this is compounding the problem I have with my G to E string crossing. Thanks for your help!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Justine,

This piece is new to me.

Is the following link showing the music you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm10S52Fd84

It appears that she is slurring most of the notes on the G on an up stroke except the last note (a rapid down stroke) before she changes the bow to the E string to play three successive notes on an upstroke.

The down stroke is rapid and accentuated at the beginning of the stroke which actually helps the bow to lift of the strings towards the end of the stroke, thus avoiding the other strings, D and A.
Justine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the peice that I am currently working on. I also came aross this video on YouTube but the video is very poor quality. So do you think the slurred notes are all on the G string? I'm not quite sure how accentuating the down bow will help to get the bow over to the E string? I'll keep plugging away at this and hopefully get better. Thanks for your reply. Smile
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the tension on the bow hair, it enables the bow to behave like a spring during various bowing techniques.

The bowing technique you see the girl playing on the down stroke on the G begins by applying a pressure (initiated by the relaxing the arm) at the beginning of the stroke (before the actual down stroke), then releasing the pressure as you pull down which produces a "bite" like effect on the sound. In that "bite", there is a spring like action of the bow stick which helps the bow to lift off the strings.

This is called the Martele stroke. There are actually different forms of Martele, but the one she is using covers a long bow on the down stroke and then three shorter ones on the up stroke.

It would do you well to pickup "Tartini, The Art of Bowing for violin", No 398, Carl Fischer's Music Library which covers not only Martele but many other types of bowing as well.
Justine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lemuel. Can you also recommend a good book on bowing techniques?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew of a better one, I would have given it instead of the "Tartini, The Art of Bowing for violin" book.

Books can only go so far. It's best to find a teacher that can actually demonstrate the bowing techniques to you.

Having said this, I've learned bowing techniques from various sources picking up tidbits here and there.

One place you may want to check out is at:

http://www.siegelproductions.ca/calvinsieb/bow.htm

Click on the bowing technique titles to see the video demo. Then do some Google searching on the content to see if you can get more relative info. I hope you find what you are looking for.

And....please let me know if you find anything worth sharing. You are not the only one learning. Very Happy
Justine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My applologies Lemuel. When I did an internet search on The Art of Bowing, I guess I mistakingly assumed that this was only a compilation of practice peices.

I did come across another book on bowing technique called Basics by Simon Fischer. Any thoughts on this book?

I spoke to my instructor about my aforementioned issues and he says I'm not using my upper arm properly. Embarassed So much to keep in mind when playing the violin!

Thanks again Lemuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: