Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleats on the back of a cello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Cleats on the back of a cello Reply with quote

Just repaired a few cracks on a cello back and I was wondering what would be the best wood to reinforce them with. In the past I have always used spruce, but I was wondering if maple would be better or not. Seems that maple would not be flexible enough, but....Please insert your knowlegeable opinion.
thanks.
Jack Havivi
Havivi Violins
Israel
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At B&F we used spruce on spruce, and willow on everything else. These days I just use spruce. I don't really have much faith in studs, anyway--a little pad of thin wood on a big long hole in wood that's thicker than the stud? Doesn't really seem like enough for me, and so I often leave them off. It seems like if the crack isn't glued well enough to stay closed, that's the problem to deal with, not the little slip of voodoo wood you put behind it.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I understand your comment on the futility of cleats, but if you are putting cleats in, why would it not be appropriate to use cleats of the same material... eg.. maple on maple?
Thanks, Mat
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the cleats are there just to hold things together in case of further damage to the area after the instrument is returned. Just wondering. Gonna keep it with the spruce.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spruce cleats are much easier to make. If you're going to do something that doesn't work, may as well at least keep the time-spent down.
Oded Kishony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cleating a crack before gluing, you'll find the crack is very solid without the glue. The cleats give a lot of support to the crack.

Oded Kishony
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oded Kishony wrote:
....The cleats give a lot of support to the crack....

.... and the cleats change the tone of the instrument!
I found that out the hard way when the customer called to complain bitterly that the instrument did not sound the same anymore ... she had been playing it with a full crack in the lower bout from edge to the f hole!.
My strategy now is generally no cleats on violins and minimal and very thin cleats on cellos... if the crack is long.
Cheers!... Mat
Oded Kishony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the cleats change the tone of the instrument!
I found that out the hard way when the customer called to complain bitterly that the instrument did not sound the same anymore ... she had been playing it with a full crack in the lower bout from edge to the f hole!.

something is wrong with this picture. you removed the cleats and the violin sounded like it did with an open crack?

The tone of the instrument changed from what? from an instrument with an open crack?

If your cleats noticeably change the tone of the instrument then there's something wrong with your cleats. And I can prove it!

Oded Kishony
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oded... I meant to say adding cleats changes the tone...trying to write too quickly... sorry.
The client had been playing the cello (apparently for quite some time)with the top split in several places, including some areas separated at the ribs.
After I repaired the splits with new cleats and set the open seams, the tone changed (according to the client).
Seems to make sense to me as the cleats add weight to the top and the cello was no longer "loose". Mind you, there were probably 20 cleats, maybe more. Also, the player was a high school student, and who knows what quality of sound the student liked.

lastly a question on your last comment.... How do you prove a change in tone... I work mostly on violins and I find tone a somewhat subjective subject, and trying to remember what the tone was like a few days or a week later is tough... for me anyway, unless of course, the change is significant.
Thanks... Mat
Oded Kishony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After I repaired the splits with new cleats and set the open seams, the tone changed (according to the client).

I'm quite certain that the reason for the change of tone was closing the crack rather than adding the cleats.
(if I'm understanding the sequence of what happened-did you remove the cleats in the end or leave them on?)

Quote:
lastly a question on your last comment.... How do you prove a change in tone..

This has to do with an experimental violin called "gluey" that I worked on at the Oberlin Acoustics workshop with Sam Z. and Wendy Moes.

The experimental part has to do with making strips of wood with rosin on one side. by cutting short strips and heating one side you can instantly affix a "cleat" onto the surface of the experimental violin and listen for any changes. You can then remove the 'cleats' and listen again.

In 99% of cases having a series of cleats lined up will not have a noticeable change in sound. There are just a few 'hot spots' that have a strong effect on the sound-often a positive change-more volume or richer sound.

Oded
gavin_rossdale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spruce would do great!! My music teacher taught me this back to the time when i was studying how to play the violin..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: