Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American sycamore or buttonwood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomigv

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: American sycamore or buttonwood Reply with quote

I have easy access through a local sawyer of obtaining split or 1/4 sawn sycamore for cellos/double basses/violas etc . Has anyone successfully used this wood, if so ,how did the sycamore instrument turn out ?? Thanks
okawbow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a cello bridge from sycamore. It turned out really nice. After 6 years of playing, it has held up well and sounds great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20524843@N03/2004038029/in/set-72157603144224626
My neighbor has an old cello that has the neck and sides made from European plane wood, which is the same as sycamore, I think.

I'd like to get some figured sycamore wide enough to make a 2 piece back for a double bass.
MWard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to know if anyone has used American sycamore with success. I think I read somewhere that it was very prone to soaking up ground--- correct me if i am wrong. I have a huge one in my front yard that may have to come down sometime in the next several years.
cmkaco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: American Sycamore Reply with quote

I can't speak to whether or not American Sycamore soaks up ground, but I had some experience with it. Last year, I was making some bouzoukis for some friends, and I bought some nice quartersawn American Sycamore. On quartersawn, the face exhibits a beautiful lace like pattern, and that was what I wanted. However, I used this on the necks, and when you shape the neck, the rounding of the neck destroys the lace pattern. All you get is a sort of greyish colored very plain wood. I don't think it has open pores like mahogany, but the wood looks a bit like that. I was quite disappointed with the look, and will not be using it again. I think you have to have the quartersawn face fully exposed to get the right look. So, I don't think you would get the right look on a violin back either.
JPherson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does soak up ground, but it is manageable. Vary nice wood for violas and cellos but not so much for violins.
Maybe i just haven't found the right graduations for violin and i probably won't since i don't really make violins Very Happy

It can be a bear to varnish but well worth it just a bigger learning curve than nice white maple.

Jesse
tomigv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a vln rosin varnish boiled linseed oil/turpentine /pine rosin. cooked outside It makes a beautiful finish on a 1/4 sawn sycamore tenor uke neck . Mine came out reddish /brn. What do you mean when you say soaks up ground ?? not sure , is that a type of filler for the pores ????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: