Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello! New Violinist self-learning!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BakaKitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Hello! New Violinist self-learning! Reply with quote

My name's Darren and I'm from Singapore.

Having absolutely no music background, I'm about to embark on a path to self-learn the violin. Today's the first day I officially start my journey, and I will spend 30minutes daily practicing it.

For many years, I have always enjoyed the smooth sound a violin makes. It is by far my favorite instrument but have never been motivated enough to actually learn it. I know its a tedious challenge, but yet, here I am, after many years of admiring the fiddle.

I will be keeping a blog & updating it daily to record and chart my progress throughout this journey. You may view the blog here.

Feel free to comment and share your experiences! It'll help motivate me if you subscribe too! Very Happy
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Welcome to the forum Darren, and thanks for giving us a little info about yourself.

There is nothing wrong with self-learning, however I would suggest you open or expose yourself to other violinists and/or violin teachers. The information you gather from them can be priceless and steer you in the right direction, preventing blocks or bad habits that would take a while to undo. Besides information, you could actually see them do it.

In my experience, tension has been the greatest block to my playing. Your first challenge would be to hold the violin and bow properly without any tension or painful spots (especially on collar bone and/or chin).

I look forward to read what you have to share in your blog.
BakaKitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm starting on Twinkle Twinkle with strings D & A! I feel its tougher than the A & E one because both strings have chords beside, and I had to be conscious of not hitting either of those.

Anyway, I noticed that the 'optical illusion' is making my bow in D crooked... I probably need to work on that.

Please comment & like the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UxntHy1ZEpQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: