Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rib and linings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: rib and linings Reply with quote

I am thinking of attempting to build a violin from scratch. My question is, do I need linings? My first kit did not have them. I will likely buy the ribs pre-bent and the blocks in a kit. Any help would be welcomed.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need linings. They help hold the top and back on and strengthen the ribs and help them keep their shape.
oldguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will work them in to the materials list.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a mold I take it, an inside mold?
oldguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I bought a mold and a bunch of spool clamps, templates, and I think, plans and thickness charts, from a lady for $20. She got them in a big box of stuff at an auction.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a lot of things to get started. Any books or instructions?
oldguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Just the instructions that came withe the kit from Stu-Mac and a violin repair guide by Michael Atria. It took some pondering to figure out the purpose and use of the mold. Thought at first it was a press for the top and back but it had screws in it. LOL. I don't know if I'm going to try this or not. About $200 for materials. I may get another kit from Stu-Mac and graduate the top and back as my next project.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with those publications.
Sharpening skills, tool costs and proper tool selection will be a major part of the process, and then there is just the learning curve involved.
You should go to a week long violin makers workshop or if there is a makers meeting of one of the organizations near you. It would save you countless hours and money.
I would say that regraduating a kit violin is way easier.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Lining Heights Reply with quote

Now that we agree that linings are necessary (grins), I have a question about details. I was told that the linings must cover "exactly" 50% of the rib. A 32 mm rib should have 8 mm linings and a 30 mm rib should have 7.5 mm. Is there anything valid to this claim or is it just an opinion?

Stay Tuned.
Mike
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lining Heights Reply with quote

I'd also suggest, in order to make things much easier - to get a bag of clothes pins as clamps for along the linings.

They're cheap, plentiful, and make the linings easy to fit perfectly.

I believe that there are many pictures of this process being performed on the internet. Don't think it's not necessary, I believe it is a necassary step.
dan bombliss

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your bag of clothes pins, you might want to consider wrapping rubber bands around the ends for extra strength. Clothes pins are magical cheap clamps, but the spring doesn't quite cut it.

As far as linings talk goes, be sure you don't do both sides of linings while your mold is in there, unless you have a breakaway mold. If you have a solid mold, and line both sides, it's not coming out. Razz Pretty straight forward, and I'm sure you knew, but that wouldn't be much fun to overlook, if your last build didn't even use them.

-Dan
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I would say that the linings should cover NO MORE than 50%. EXACTLY 50% would be a little difficult to achieve. But that's just another opinion.

Dan,
It's a lot easier, and effective enough, to cut some off the clothes pins so that the spring ends are centered on the linings. If you get the linings bent properly you don't need much pressure anyway.

And Oldguy,
Yes, you need linings, especially in the C-bouts. My first (old) fiddle had no linings and that area would not stay glued. I added them after I started making.
actonern

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...be sure you don't do both sides of linings while your mold is in there, unless you have a breakaway mold. If you have a solid mold, and line both sides, it's not coming out..."

Hi Dan:

I don't know what kind of mold you specifically mean, but a Strad type inside mold about 13 mm thick can be lined on both sides while on the mold and then removed.

In fact, that's how Strad 'n company did it. It's completely counter intuitive to imagine how it should work, but it does. I tried looking for a u tube of someone doing it, but couldn't find any. You can see it being done here in a series of photos.

http://darntonviolins.com/viola.php?set_id=5
dan bombliss

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wouldn't that be a break away mold? A solid inside mold can only be lined on one side is all I was pointing out.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan bombliss wrote:
Well, wouldn't that be a break away mold? A solid inside mold can only be lined on one side is all I was pointing out.

Depending on how thick you make your mold.

A typical thin inside mold can hold both sets (of linings) without too much trouble, and a thicker or full height one (mold), the ribs have to be slid and the linings done seperately or independantly.

Like many other facts that show up in "light" discussions like this - the facts can and will often change (and often radically) with the method(s) being used.

Last edited by ctviolin on Sun May 26, 2013 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: