Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any bow makers here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Any bow makers here? Reply with quote

Just curious,
I must admit to an interest in this pursuit.
Though I do have appropriate raw wood, I have never managed to carve a decent bow on my own.

I would be self-taught if I did manage to carve a decent one - but I must say, I never have managed it.

I also admit to having a question with regard to this; are there any experienced bow makers here willing to get into it?
ct
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig:

I have been making bows on and off for 40 years now. Mostly I make reproductions of baroque and 19th century bows, but I have done a few modern bows. I gave up for many years after I became allergic to pernambuco dust, but got back to it with beech and bloodwood.

You can get experience with bows much faster than with violins. On the other hand you need a metal-turning lathe and a mill, or a convertible machine that does both. Also you need to solder silver and work with pearl. I find it a fascinating combination of techniques and materials!

Good luck!

Ed
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Shillitoe wrote:
Hi Craig:

I have been making bows on and off for 40 years now. Mostly I make reproductions of baroque and 19th century bows, but I have done a few modern bows. I gave up for many years after I became allergic to pernambuco dust, but got back to it with beech and bloodwood.

You can get experience with bows much faster than with violins. On the other hand you need a metal-turning lathe and a mill, or a convertible machine that does both. Also you need to solder silver and work with pearl. I find it a fascinating combination of techniques and materials!

Good luck!

Ed

So, do you make the frogs also?
I admit to some experience with soldering and melting and forming silver, and a penchant for silver jewlery making, (mostly simple western style jewlery) as a part of my misspent youth...

Fascinating.

Is your stick making hand done, or machine done? Perhaps a combination of the two?
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I make all the parts except the screw and eyelet. I do the stick by hand except for drilling the screw hole - I use the lathe for that although it can be done by hand. For some early-model bows I have used the lathe/mill to help shape the end where the frog sits. I do the frogs largely on the mill then finish by hand.

I started out by following the Bolander book, supplemented with some help from Mr. Bolander himself. He did not have machine tools but followed the traditional French method. I would say I now use the same methods that the Hill shop used.

I'd be happy to post some pictures if it is possible on this forum.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Shillitoe wrote:
Yes, I make all the parts except the screw and eyelet. I do the stick by hand except for drilling the screw hole - I use the lathe for that although it can be done by hand. For some early-model bows I have used the lathe/mill to help shape the end where the frog sits. I do the frogs largely on the mill then finish by hand.

I started out by following the Bolander book, supplemented with some help from Mr. Bolander himself. He did not have machine tools but followed the traditional French method. I would say I now use the same methods that the Hill shop used.

Thank you Ed.
Perhaps it would help me to read my copy of Bolanders book also?
Builtbynick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Shillitoe wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but, what exactly is "the traditional French method" as opposed to other methods?
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old French method relied a lot on the skill and eye of the maker. They didn't use a lathe, jigs or a vice and did everything by hand. As a result the bows are less uniform and show the style of the maker more than if they had been turned out mechanically. Lynn Hanning teaches bowmaking like this at a summer course in New Hampshire. Its well worth attending.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of tools... here is a handy rig for drilling the hole for a bushing and the screw
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54855&cat=1,41659
It not nearly as good as what Michael Vann sells... but it does work with careful ajustment. The base is solid so a larger hole needs to be drilled in the base plate to allow the bow shaft to run thru.
FYI!
Cheers, Mat
SooT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn also teaches at the Southern California Violin Making Workshop:

http://scvmw.com/workshop.php

Well worth taking her class.
tomigv

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not take a class with lynn, she/s dishonest and ripped me off on a double bass underslide jig many years ago. She also spoon feeds students . Look elsewhere for honest folks , her prices for bowmaking tools are too $$$ you can find better deals elsewhere ,been there done that. I have taken many bowmaking courses, most of the instructors are snooty an uptight. Find a friendly , reliable bowmaker you can learn from. Also most folks in the class never go on to become bowmakers. My 2 cents.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomigv wrote:
Also most folks in the class never go on to become bowmakers. My 2 cents.

You've got that right.
It's an occupation that requires repetition, so much so, that most people look at it like it is a chore they must go through in order to work in a violin shop, or etc.

On the other hand there's bow rehair freaks like me, and some others here (that will EVEN admit it) that like the challenge that all of the slightly different bows present.

There are many many small tasks involved, that we can disagree on and fight about also.

What more could a person want out of life?
(I'm making my first bow now)
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig... The December issue of the Strad has a good article on baroque bowmaking by Philip Brown.
Hope that helps... Mat
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomigv wrote:
I would not take a class with lynn, she/s dishonest and ripped me off on a double bass underslide jig many years ago. She also spoon feeds students . Look elsewhere for honest folks , her prices for bowmaking tools are too $$$ you can find better deals elsewhere ,been there done that. I have taken many bowmaking courses, most of the instructors are snooty an uptight. Find a friendly , reliable bowmaker you can learn from. Also most folks in the class never go on to become bowmakers. My 2 cents.

I'm surprised to hear all of that. I've enjoyed learning from Lynn and many people take her classes twice or more. I get my supplies from her. I've tried cheaper things - you can get very cheap bow hair for example if you shop around - but in the end I go back to paying more for the better quality.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
Craig... The December issue of the Strad has a good article on baroque bowmaking by Philip Brown.
Hope that helps... Mat

Yes, I saw that. You're right, it is a good article.

People that do it for a living, make it look easy...
I've rushed ahead and, ruined one blank already. Well, if you include the blank I blew ten or so years ago, when I FIRST tried, that's number TWO.

I blew it, when turning the blank from a diminishing square - into an octagon.

I've asked a friend of mine who makes bows for a living, for some guidance (He makes his bows from a method he devised, not from a book or particular source)

And I'm re-reading both of my bow making books... (sheesh! I realize that my self has been compromised recently by, hmmm, medical problems, lets say) but this is obviously a very DIFFERENT job, for people who are not necessarily violin makers.

That's OK though.
The more difficult, the better it will be for getting me back on the right track again. I rather enjoy difficulty in projects.
I promise that I'll post the first one as soon as I finish it.
(That should be a decent comedy break for us all!)

Thanks,
Craig T
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're making progress Craig! Making the octagon is quite tricky. You didn't ask for advice but if you did I would say that its very important to get the stick absolutely square - each side exactly the same width at each point and exactly at right angles to the others - before taking off the corners. Once you start taking off the corners its very hard to make any adjustments. The other thing that I use is a bit of wood with a slot like the underside of a frog which I hold against the stick from time to time. This shows which facet is too wide and makes sure that the corners are at exactly 45 degrees to the main faces. If you take a corner down too low its time to throw away the stick and start again!

I know a maker who uses the milling machine to rough out the handle and uses those facets as a guide for the rest of the stick. It works but its not necessary.

Keep it up!

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: