Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zyex Strings for Violin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toortanga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Zyex Strings for Violin? Reply with quote

Does anyone have comparative experience with these Zyex strings (light or medium gauge) since they were reformulated in 2008? Apparently the tension has been changed

I was just looking for a cheaper replacement than Dominants or Obligatos that perhaps does not have the price of Oblis or the enormous metallic edge that you can get with new Dominants. I am currently using Obligato Weich and have tried the mediums before which worked okay. (Haven't tried Dominant lights).

I'm mainly asking about the tension since that's the primary issue for me though comparative sound experiences woudl be appreciated as well.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only little experience with Zyex.

I only remember it being somewhat resistant on a violin I was playing. I later learned from D’Addario that it takes few days of playing before it reaches optimum sound. The sound is supposed to be bright and focused.

If you are looking for similar strings, but cheaper cost, have you tried Thomastic Superflexible? They are classified as having warmth, which is what I'm assuming you are looking for.
fiddler59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'addario reformulated Zyex Strings somewhere around 2008. They are much better now. The tension is lower and they are warmer and much easier to modulate. The old Zyex was kind of a one trick pony. The new ones I feel are vastly improved.

David Blackmon
ShawnBoucke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my backup to Dominants. They don't seem as resonant compared to Dominants, and have a bit higher tension too. I would recommend getting the low tension version.
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I had a set of superflex that would not work on a fiddle a few years ago
so I put them on the fiddle I now use & they were good
Now a player in our group has Pirastro Piranito so I thought I would try them as the I liked the sound of his fiddle I just wish I would have put them on a long time ago others fiddle used to drown me out ,not anymore !!
they stay in tune for days .They may not suit your fiddle ,(violin )
for $3700 they beat any that that I paid $70 for Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: