Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All about violin strings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: All about violin strings Reply with quote

A link to look at on strings

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~leonid/violin_strings.htm
This is the google address
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Violin+strings&meta=
ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MANFIO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... but I prefer testing the string on the instrument and see
how it sounds... I believe much more in my ears and in the sensation while playing than in the descriptions of manufactures .

I'm currently using Evahs on the violas I make, with a Larsen A. For my
violins I'm using Dominants with a Larsen E. Strings must fit the instrument and the players style and taste. String choice is quite, quite
important for good sound and volume, it makes a huge difference.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Manfio I agree Reply with quote

I agree strings must fit the violin. This info on strings can be used maybe as a a guide . As for me buying a set of strings & have to take them off & buy another to try, can get costly as you know you cant tell until you try them I like Domiant`s I have them on my fiddles
Manfio you do beautiful work Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice useful site...but I am surprised that it does not discuss the Dr. Thomastik Superflexible string... which is the predominant fiddling choice in my area. In fact I found no sites discussing that string.
So.... What model makes great "fiddling" strings? I am curious to hear if there is consistency around the continent and the world!
Cheers, Mat
Gizmo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Super Flexible Reply with quote

MR

Based on your enthusiasm I have ordered a set of Superflexibles.

So I have you for reference when my wife says " Not more strings! ".

Will I sound more country now or classical ??

I think Helicore is a rope also (?) Any comparison ?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo, I don't have personal experience with Helicore strings , but they are by a different manufacturer and have wingings that are softer and as such will surely exhibit different characteristics. The Superflexible is a tough string, settles in quickly and easily holds tuning. The matched e string is available plain steel or wound... the wound is more susceptible to damage, but most players I know prefer the wound. Although there are cheaper strings, I generally recommend it for school instruments as it can take a lot of abuse and still plays well.
Cheers, Mat
Gizmo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Superconfused Reply with quote

Installing new set of Superflexibles and wound up with an "A" string that has a collar which usually is on the "E" ??

Either I mixed the strings or Thomastik put one in the wrong envelope.

The string I think is/was "E" does mic about .005-.007 less that the "A" with the collar ??????????????????

Who uses the collar ?

(No silk color differences ??????????????? )

HELP !!
francois

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a letter stamped on the string ball?
For the basses, we have I, II, II, IV and O (orchestra) or S (solo).
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, I have received a couple of sets of strings with an E string
sleave on the A string. I don't remember what brand they were. I just
snipped it off.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Superflexible Mysterys Reply with quote

After much strenuous surfing I found somebody at Concordia string who had the facts.
The "E" string and the "A" string BOTH have a little clear plastic sleeve for cushion over the bridge. The "E" sleeve is MUCH smaller and simply slid over the thread winding where it was almost invisible.
It is intesting to me to find an "A" string sleeve which reminds me of a little felt or rubber donut that Pirastro puts on some of their "A"s.

I did not dare ask why all the Superflexible strings have the same silk colors (?)

These new strings do have a VERY soft sound for metal on my #2 violin.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Superconfused Reply with quote

Gizmo wrote:
Installing new set of Superflexibles and wound up with an "A" string that has a collar which usually is on the "E" ??

Either I mixed the strings or Thomastik put one in the wrong envelope.

The string I think is/was "E" does mic about .005-.007 less that the "A" with the collar ??????????????????

Who uses the collar ?

(No silk color differences ??????????????? )

HELP !!

I never use the plastic sleeve...just seems to me it will act as a mute. Its only purpose is to prevent it from cutting into the bridge. If you want, apply just a lightest possible touch of crazy glue in the string slot and that will be better than the sleeve.
Don't know why the Superflexibles have the same wrap colors, but you can easily tell the e from the g which have nickel colored end balls and the a has a brass colored end ball and the d has a copper colored end ball. E is about .32mm and the a is .44 mm
Here is the Thomastik catalogue and their email if you want to ask the question directly.
http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/upload/TI_violin%20folder%2005_07print.pdf
marketing@thomastik-infeld.com
Cheers, Mat
Gizmo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Mute Reply with quote

I wonder if the "A" tube is not designed to act as a mute in a fashion similar to the Pirastro "A" donuts ?? I have gotten the impression that there is something "cranky" about an "A" string versus traditional violin body design (?). (I also wonder why everyone puts a torte mute on the "A" string ?)

Anyhow, the strings are working well. Big projection but not overly bright. More "musical" sound than Helicore. Pretty good for a cheap string.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Colors Reply with quote

After 3 weeks Thomastik (Vienna) sent an e-mail confirming ball end colors as i.d. for the Superflexible strings. "E" and "A" are the same color but the "E" is thinner. (The "A" also came with a very large plastic sleeve....... much larger than the "E" sleeve.)

(MR ..... maybe the sleeves help prevent the strings from tilting the bridge after repeated tunng ? I also did mount the strings per your earlier post and now I don't want to go back to my #1 violin which has Dominants. )
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo, when you dab the bridge with crazy glue, be sure to give it a light touch with your mousetail file and then rub the slot with a pencil... the pencil graphite is a lubricant that helps the string slide in the slot during tuning...less tendency for the bridge to warp, and easier to ajust if needed.
Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: