Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack Benny's Stradivarius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Jack Benny's Stradivarius Reply with quote

I watched a You Tube video today, with Jack Benny on the Dick Cavett show, (early '60s?). He spoke of trading a $ 5,000 violin and $ 15,000 for his Strad (which apperently was bequeathed to the Los Angles Philharmoninc), My, how things change! For years he wouldn't admit he had it, nor would he perform on it in public. He was afraid admitting he had it might spoil his "cheapskate" public image!
jfelton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember Jack Benny. He was more from my parent's era but understand he was quite a character.
Will L

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny's Strad was a "long pattern" if I recall. From the 1690s. I played on it a little many years ago but I wasn't too impressed. But LA Concertmaster Martin Chalifour plays on it, and since the LA Phil also has at least one other Strad, the "Earl of Plymouth,"—and I would assume Chalifour would have first choice on which violin to use–he must find it very good. I've heard him play on it and it works well for him.

Benny also had a Vuillaume "Strad patterned" which was up for auction in London some years ago. It was pretty dull to my ear.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will L wrote:

Benny's Strad was a "long pattern" if I recall. From the 1690s. I played on it a little many years ago but I wasn't too impressed. I've heard him play on it and it works well for him.

Benny also had a Vuillaume "Strad patterned" which was up for auction in London some years ago. It was pretty dull to my ear.

Pretty interesting, though, isn't it?

I often wonder - what anyone (judges or spectators, or any listeners period) would hear if someone snuk in a Strad at one or two of the violin making contests where I used to judge newy made violin's tones...

It wouldn't surprise me at all to be (or, perhaps to actually HAVE BEEN) completely taken in, and NOT recognize something like that for what it was.

The atmosphere was (& is) not set up for that type of recognition. Which brings me to the conclusion that, though we were all judging SOMETHING, I have to wonder, really, exactly what was being judged?

Perhaps simply the smoothness and eveness of projection by a random (though professional) player, of some modern hand made violins?

Would any Strad (or the like) qualities even show up at such a venue as this - AS QUALITIES?
And if they did, would they be recognized for what they were?

I don't think so - in fact I know they wouldn't.

In a way, the qualities of old and valuable (in particular) Italian instruments is perhas only really easily recognised or even capable of being apprehended fully, by stellar players - who have spent a lifetime looking and playing.

Are these personal ideas about certain violin capabilities, formed and held by me, myself only?
Undoubtedly so, I think.
But - everyone must fall on this scale somewhere, dictated by our personal direct experiences in the field. As a listener. As a player. And as a maker. Or any combination thereof.

Still - there are things that are extremely difficult to convey, and that are on the border of most of our abilities to even correctly identify the why behind some commonly held beliefs that, for the most part - we as a group realize the absolutely true existance of, but not really as a function that we are able to claim exposure to (or even, experience with) in our daily lives.

Comments?
jfelton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Jack Benny when I was young. He was quite the character in his time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: