Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bow Making Resources
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the front part meaning removing this.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m9C1QJ5DNZqhx-yiP-1LKmg.jpg

From revisiting the suggestion, I think it is not that simple since the front part is needed to pin the blade down. I haven't done that myself, but I must have been fooled by a modification I saw some time ago, maybe someone cut off the front foot altogether.

The plane can be ordered new for $35

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/stanley75bullnoserabbetplane.aspx

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beveled the blade to 65 degrees and reinstalled it. Works quite well, and gets me closer to the head than before, with my other planes. Well, I have some small ones that get close, but this is the largest one I have that gets reasonably close. Thanks for the suggestion!
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Bishop wrote:
Here's another video, regarding Benoit Rolland:
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbcnews.com/49906045#49906045

It doesn't help with learning, but it is nice to watch.

I added it to the list of videos on the first page of this thread.

I think I learn a little each time I see and hear a master.

What did you think of his frog?
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Galliane Frog Videos Reply with quote

I found these interesting. It would be fun to try playing with one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48IexGiF6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jokftPJ65Q

Technical Specifications:

http://benoitrolland.com/docs/galliane-tech-en-web.pdf
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out if the angle in the frog causes a tension in the hair that could twist the stick over time. I am really not sure there, but other than that, it looks neat. Good thing it's the 15 degree that's trademarked and patent pending. The 14 degrees should be fine to reproduce Smile

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there's something in his design to prevent damage to the stick. After seven years of testing, you'd think he would have worked out the kinks... In one video, he remarks that there's something like 25 percent more hair in contact with the strings. The violinist said it produced a "rounder" sound. Some teachers suggest holding a (conventional) bow so that more hair contacts the strings. I guess that would simulate the effect of Rolland's new frog design. Evidently Paulus will be selling them.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me if i'm wrong... (and I probably am)...
I always thought that the reason players play with the bow angled forward is to get less hair in contact with the strings in order to get clearer tone and better "bite". My rationale is that the wider the hair ribbon in contact with the string, the more accurately you must hold the bow perpendicular to the string, otherwise you will get a muddier sound. That is because if the bow is not perfectly perpendicular, lets say the hand is too far away from the body, the hair on near side of the bow will stroke the string first and a split second later, the hair on the other side of the ribbon will again stroke the string upsetting the vibrations already set up. Also the wider the ribbon, the less pressure on the string by each hair. Therefore playing on the edge of the ribbon by tilting the bow will have less hair in contact with the bow, .. so a narrower band of hair on the string will apply more pressure by each hair, giving more bite.
Hope my explanation is understandable!... curious to hear your thoughts.
Cheers, Mat
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bow Making Resources Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
Thought it might be helpful to collect bow making resources and post them here.

I've updated the list, deleting a dead link, and adding a few new ones. The Hofner video seems interesting, as they employ both machines and hand making. The "Bow of Death" just struck me as humorous. I'm thinking it could form the basis for a trilogy, which might include a flick called "The Frog of Despair," and "The Button of Doom." At least, a few of my frogs and buttons have ended up that way. Some of the posts on Paolo Sarri's blog are thought-provoking. The Arcus video is the only one I could find about carbon bow manufacture, but they still don't show how the stick is made. I wonder if anyone on this forum has tried making a composite bow?
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added an article recommended by Mr. Bolander: The Making of Bows, by Max Moller, from a 1957 copy of the magazine, Violins and Violinists.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
tell me if i'm wrong... (and I probably am)...
I always thought that the reason players play with the bow angled forward is to get less hair in contact with the strings in order to get clearer tone and better "bite".

Just noticed no one ever responded to this.

I doubt that I can offer much insight about this. But you might be correct. So many variables, though. Strings, rosin, bow, instrument, player. Maybe his bow is a panacea for some players but not for others.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: The Bernard Ouchard Bow-Making School-- a must read! Reply with quote

Just added this to the list of resources. This dissertation is a fascinating look at bow making in Ouchard's school at Mirecourt in the 1970s. More than just an examination of pedagogy and personality, it considers how bows are made. I found it online via Proquest at a local university, but it can also be purchased.

It's been quite a while since there have been any comments about resources. What have folks found to be the most helpful? I'll have to say it's been workshops and coaching by makers, but I've also benefited from reading and watching videos.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that looks interesting! I ordered it.

Ed
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I thought it had much more about making than it does. However, it has some really helpful information about the different schools of French making--perhaps a kind of reader's digest of L'Archet. Also has interviews with many of the graduates of the bow-making school at Mirecourt. I was struck by the fact that this was in fact a high school, where students normally began studies at 14 to 17 years of age. Kind of funny that students failing to qualify for the instrument-making school were sometimes offered a spot in the bow-making school. Sort of a runners-up offering.
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an insult! I don't think you should be publicizing that!

And what about the poor souls who couldn't even make a bow? Clarinet reeds perhaps? Sweeping the floor?
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was being kind. But to make matters worse, the principal of the school frequently spanked the students who got out of line. I'm so glad this didn't happen at the classes I've attended. I would have been spanked daily!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: