Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New string ID guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShawnBoucke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: New string ID guide Reply with quote

I am working on a new reference guide for strings and their wrapping color.

http://www.shawnboucke.com/string-color-id.html

I already need to adjust some things, but cannot do it until I am at home tonight. I plan on having even the beads at the tail end correct (ex. The pirastro strings have black beads which I still need to adjust). I am asking for your help to make this extremely accurate. If you see anything missing, or incorrect please let me know so I can add it in. If you have photos of strings I could use that to make the colors more accurate.
ShawnBoucke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

I have updated a lot of the colors.. especially "peg rings" for Pirastro.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shawn,

That is some handy information to have, thanks. I have a few additional kinds of strings i should be able to pass along to you.

I was reading a little bit about strings the you wrote describing string tension. It said that heavy weight strings are louder and brighter than mediums which seems logical but I sometimes experience the opposite effect. Sometimes the heavies, or starks seem to be too fat sounding and are not as loud as mediums. Response can suffer too. Have you had this happen? Anyone?
ShawnBoucke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Tension Reply with quote

I have had that issue with high tension strings. It's difficult to generalize about strings when every set acts differently on every instrument. When I get a chance I will look to add/reword that section to the valid point that you are describing.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for telling us about yourself and the work you are doing. I like your informative website. The string color codes you put up is very useful.

Keep it up!
ShawnBoucke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for telling us about yourself and the work you are doing. I like your informative website. The string color codes you put up is very useful.

Keep it up!

Thank you. I am trying to push myself even farther, and created a new site for string reviews where the guide is now posted. ViolinStringReview.com

I'm taking a risk and spending a good amount of money to get it going. I'm going to give away a free set of violin strings in hopes that it will bring people into the site, and build it up fast. I mentioned it on another thread (I'm not trying to double post Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: