Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In General...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctviolin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: In General... Reply with quote

Being a violin maker, repairman and bow rehairer, I have sort of come to the conclusion that the niche we occupy is a very odd one. It seems to me fairly recently that the field (vocally on-line, at least) tends to be a bit bitter and filled with unnecessary and non violin related, personal criticism generally - which I can understand, having been online and having seen what idiocy (please excuse the French...) can take over a particular on-line situation.

Thinking about it now for almost the last year, I have come to realize that it depends on what the management of a particular site decides to do with off topic, or just plain rude and overly critical posters.

A violin site can indeed be a social place for anyone to frequent - obviously, with any intention good, or not-so-good.

So, there becomes a question of where the serious maker, interested in talking with other serious makers, and individuals simply interested in learning making or repairing, either violins or string family oriented merchandise, can go other than just skip off line in order not to have to deal with the B.S. for some (years...?) undetermined time.

I have to admit that this site has quickly become the favorite site I have found for talking with violin related posters - even the arguments here are rational and short lived.

Thanks to all of the moderators here for keeping the site open and straight and clear of intentional non-violin-related crap and argumentation.
(And - it was totally excellent, and sort of unexpected to see that you got on board here as a moderator, Michael ! )

I really appreciate it.

Thanks all!
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... CT I do agree. I got tired of trying pick thru the bs to get to the good stuff at MN ... but to be fair there is a lot of good info there.

It seems to me that the best way to stifle the bs is simply to not respond at all to the bs'ers. As they say... silence is golden!

There are many in this world who love conflict and a good fight. I am not one of them and If I don't feed to them, they won't be back.

I also must admit I was surprised and delighted to see Micheal D as a moderator!... Either Lemuel is to be commended on his abilty to entice the cream of the crop or Michael is to be commended for his usual kind and generous offering.... but I'm sure both deserve the kudos.

Thanks Michael & Lemuel!
Always enjoying your posts CT... Cheers, Mat
pmccombs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: In General... Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

So, there becomes a question of where the serious maker, interested in talking with other serious makers, and individuals simply interested in learning making or repairing, either violins or string family oriented merchandise, can go other than just skip off line in order not to have to deal with the B.S. for some (years...?) undetermined time.

I once tried to start a violin makers group on Google+. My first member was some fellow who was carving up a bizarre neck replacement for his plastic electric violin. His contribution was a music video of himself making this strange thing, complete with a brief clip of him laying on the floor and flashing a rude gesture to his audience. Of course, the whole thing was set to a weird, hip electric violin soundtrack.

It was surreal; a new-age interpretation of violin making or something. It wasn't what I had hoped for, so I shut the group down. Honestly, I didn't know how to deal with it.

The hardest sort of online communities to moderate are those that have a technical dimension and that tend to intersect with a professional field, or those that cover topics that some people take very seriously.

The online forums have been indispensable, though. I don't mind conflict now and then as long as it stays focused and doesn't become personal. I think it's important to understand different schools of thought.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
... Either Lemuel is to be commended on his abilty to entice the cream of the crop or Michael is to be commended for his usual kind and generous offering....

It is 100% the latter.

It actually happened this way....

Without knowing, Leif Luscombe who set up this forum years ago, had invited Michael to become moderator.
I don't know why he had declined back then, but years later, one morning a couple of months ago, Michael asks me
if the offer to become moderator was still available.

At first, I was a bit shocked because I for the life of me could not remember ever inviting him to become moderator.
Secondly, I could not see him offering himself to take on this sort of responsibility when he already had a full fledged
career in making, traveling and teaching courses, running a business, and having his own family to take care of.
I really don't see how he manages it all. I even went as far as to think that perhaps someone managed to spam
into his user name and phish his identity. When I asked Leif if he had ever invited Michael, he confirmed it. I even
asked DonLeister for an opinion.

Well, I'm glad I accepted his offering more than you could imagine. Besides his abilities as professional maker
and teacher, I'm also very glad his "standards" for forum communication are close to what mine are (although he was
able to express it much better because of his exposure to the "other forum").

Basically in a nutshell, a forum should be a place of knowledge, encourage and support, to help one grow in
whatever field of endeavor it is, without the fear of rejection, of making mistakes, of failure, of criticism, without
the need to be superior, or fear of being inferior than anyone else. Or in other words, members are focused on
empowering each other, rather than tearing each other down, serving rather than bossing or Lording over others.
There are other little tidbits as well, but this is the main one.

It's hard to do sometimes, especially when you feel like a victim, and it takes a certain amount of "inner strength"
not to fall into the same "trivial mind" as the offender, but rather to return something positive.

I'm happy that you are all enjoying this forum. In general nothing is more satisfying than to see others benefiting
from something you do. However as far as a forum is concerned, moderators can only go so far to control
unwanted content. It takes members as well. What am I saying? It's really good to have members like the ones
we are having now, mainly all of you!
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemuel wrote:

Basically in a nutshell, a forum should be a place of knowledge, encourage and support, to help one grow in whatever field of endeavor it is, without the fear of rejection, of making mistakes, of failure, of criticism, without
the need to be superior, or fear of being inferior than anyone else. Or in other words, members are focused on empowering each other, rather than tearing each other down, serving rather than bossing or Lording over others.
There are other little tidbits as well, but this is the main one.

Amen!

So happy to see the (correct & workable) basics back in the forefront again!

ct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: