Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

want to help me find hip and eccentric violin music?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flexy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: want to help me find hip and eccentric violin music? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm building a violin-themed playlist for a launch-party, and thought it wise to ask the violin pros and amateurs (that's French for "lovers of"), themselves.

The problem I'm finding is that most bands that have dedicated violinists are either jazz or folk, and even Ponty is too "jazz" for the people doing this.

They want hip and avant-garde, but not really. They're just saying avant-garde because cool artists like Imogen Heap do a pop song once in a while.

So, if you know of any cool songs or bands that cross classical elements with electro, please post them here; or perhaps some Brian Eno or Laurie Anderson reduxes, etc.

I'll build a list in the OP if there is enough response, that way it can be useful for others, thanks!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for joining the forum.

I'm still not sure what you are asking for. A classical piece is played in as a classical piece, unless you modify it to other styles.
Are you trying to find classical pieces that can be played rock or pop style?
louispr

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/louispierracicotofficial?fref=ts it might give you inspiration. David Garrett is a really good violinist and he plays classical piece arrange in a pop way
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexy wrote:
Hi there,
The problem I'm finding is that most bands that have dedicated violinists are either jazz or folk, and even Ponty is too "jazz" for the people doing this.

They want hip and avant-garde, but not really. They're just saying avant-garde because cool artists like Imogen Heap do a pop song once in a while.

So, if you know of any cool songs or bands that cross classical elements with electro, please post them here; or perhaps some Brian Eno or Laurie Anderson reduxes, etc.

louispr wrote:
Take a look at my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/louispierracicotofficial?fref=ts it might give you inspiration. David Garrett is a really good violinist and he plays classical piece arrange in a pop way

Dude, there is SO DAMN MUCH out there - that there is no naming them all - just personal likes and dislikes.

Lots of it is so far gone down the pike, it doesn't really even touch "typical western style music, generally", at all.

(I'm talking "western" as in this particular culture, not western, as in "country" music)

And yes, I'm talking both western, and eastern, and much "very foreign" style music, period - in general - if you can stretch your ear that far, the new and exciting music is always there. (here)

but that's really only a start - because even in the strictly "western" music genre, there's enough variation now, in violin related music, to go around endlessly...

But, in a very real way, you're asking me a question that you and only you can answer . I'm going on 60 now, but earlier - when I could follow some of these music's around, I went to see Philip Glass live once where he conducted an orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl... all we saw during the entire concert was his back as he conducted his "orchestra" in totally bizarre aspects of "music" (a bit outside the *normal* realm) - and even today, since he's become so popular in background movie composition, that his music has become instantly recognizable, (well, at least to me) and still, is minimalist and repetitive. Very much violins. Often string only.

Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass - Passages - this "album" (ok, I realize that I'm showing my age - there used to be these things called "albums"...) will be an interesting side adventure.

Outside the bounds of popular music, but still his music generally, has finally become accepted and used in popular situations... even though most people have never REALLY heard of him.

Steve Reich - Different Trains, The Kronos Quartet.

In fact, the Kronos Quartet alone, will cause you to think a bit outside of the box.

Yes, then there's early King Crimson - an early rock band that used the violin many different times and ways (<G>)

Stephane Grappelli & Yo-Yo Ma play Cole Porter.

Various classical - the choices in this field are endless.

Yes all I could reply to this post is examples of thnigs I have heard and liked, but you must find your own stuff - and now, today, there are even more directions to look in.

I envy you this adventure - if you take it and see what's there, the fact is, you'll never be finished finding new and unbelievably creative, and exciting music if you start looking.
However, I wouldn't think of finding this type of music, in general, for other people - they must find their own music that appeals to them, personally, in a way, it's always a solo journey.
In fact, if you're married - I predict that you'll find that one out fairly quickly...

Last edited by ctviolin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the terms "hip, eccentric, avant guard - etc." mean essentially nothing but a form of advertising (in other words - NOTHING) outside of personal taste.
KrisonStrings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on arranging some modern music for violin.

This one is from a video game called Final Fantasy 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8

Like my facebook page to know when I post more!
https://www.facebook.com/KrisonStrings
Stratovarious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No opportunity to post my new favourite lady should go unheeded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCsyshUU-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3KUyPKbR7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOg8Cz9yfWg

She does a lot of video game music and a few covers as well as her own compositions (and look how many hits she gets!). I'll admit all the leaping about can be a bit disconcerting but if you can only hear her, it won't matter so much.
jackyjohnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this Facebook https://www.facebook.com/louispierracicotofficial?fref=ts very helpful. Hope you can find something in it Smile
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second ctviolin's recommendation of the Kronos Quartet. They are a VERY interesting group that encompass so many different kinds of genres and styles, and they do push the boundaries. There is also a group called sybarite5 which performs modern (pop, etcetera) music in a classical quintet. Here is one of their more famous performances of a Radiohead piece. www.youtube.com/watch?v=wenjdtY-qaE

They also venture into other genres.

I'm not sure if this what you are looking for though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: